Turf in greenhouse?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

My greenhouse is going up on an area that was ;
1990 lawn.
1995 veg patch.
2000 back to lawn as I got an allotment :D .

I am making two beds, one down a side and one across the end. The remainder will be levelled and slabbed. This process will produce a lot of poor quality turf which I would like to reuse as soil conditioner / potting compost additive.

As I intend to remodel the surrounding area as shady flowerbed, rosebed and general flower bed, possibly including some rhubarb, I think the most convenient place to stack my turves will be in the corner of the to-be-slabbed area. :?

How well will turf stacked inside break down?
Is it a bad idea?
Will it only work if watered?
Should I stack it outside instead?
Will it work, but differently and if so how?

Thanks in anticipation, an idiotic Peter.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
retropants
KG Regular

Hello Peter!
I would stack the turf outside, but it has to covered or it will try and grow. You should(?) stack it grass-to-grass, soil-to-soil. I did this when I took up some grotty lawn, and I buried it under topsoil in my new raised planting area. About 6 months later when I started to plant there (shrubs etc), it had mostly gone! Hope this is useful, I'm sure someone else will have a better plan, as I generally make things up as I go, makes it a bit more fun!
a very haphazard retropants! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic