Early Summer bits and bobs - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Perhaps it's something to do with the Koala bear.
Primrose
KG Regular

I do like seeing everybody's photos on here. It's like a virtual harvest festival and satisfying to see earlier reports of sowing starting to come to fruition. The one dilemma we have here when the weather has been so hot is that we really feel like eating various salad type meals but have all these "hot" vegetables which have to be used up in cooked meals while they're still fresh
Geoff
KG Regular

According to my calendar of daily sayings all of us on here should have a long life:

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality".
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:According to my calendar of daily sayings all of us on here should have a long life:

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality".

That's me knackered then, I'm not that knowledgeable :lol: :roll:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the dry weather with lots of insects around must have improved bird breeding prospects this summer. Our garden is currently full of activity with what we think are three separate broods of newly hatched great tits and blue tits. They're literally queueing up to use the six separate bird feeders located near a large stellata magnolia bush for cover. They're real time wasters to watch but also quite delightful.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't feed during the breeding season, usually wait till the first frost(that can be in August !!), but I too have a garden full, a pair of Swallows are nesting in the garage at the back of my greenhouse, they seem to feeding on bugs in my garden, which is most welcome.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

we have what I believe to be the 4th set of Robin fledglings scouring the lawn for food and cheeping merrily. Parents are still feeding them too. We put down meal worms for them and the blackbirds, who are also on brood number 3 or 4. We have had many more types and numbers this year, very happy about that. Even had a family of thrushes earlier in May, we don't see them very often, and I spotted the black caps at the weekend, only see them on the odd occasion. Mine is the only garden in the vicinity with a bounty of trees and shrubs, my direct neighbours have only lawn.
richard p
KG Regular

weve got pleanty of blackbirds... theyve had all the cherries , all the tayberries, a lot of the raspberries and now started on the black currants.... im sure i was sworn at this morning .... i ve picked all the tops of the blackcurrant bushes over the last couple of evening , this morning i cut off all the low floppy branches and took them into the poly tunnel to pick over with the rain pattering on the plastic.
blackbirds were not happy.

something even stripped the last couple of gooseberry bushes before i got round to them.

now working on a plan for a large fruitcage for the soft fruit.
Westi
KG Regular

robo - it's a gift! :)

Some can play the violin, I can exercise your neck muscles without even trying! Thanks whoever turned it right way up - thank you! I'm definitely going to try rotating them the wrong way in my album & then post to see if I can fix this wee problem as I have no other way. (To my knowledge anyway)!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Westi, look again at all the text on or around your post with the pictures on. :wink:
Attachments
Studio_20170711_213306.jpg
Studio_20170711_213306.jpg (570.08 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Some very heavy rain here yesterday and during the night. initially we had a lot of local road flooding. I think the ground round here had become so dry and compacted it had forgotten how to absorb moisture. Really must check the courgettes every day now. The slightest drop of water makes them grow quickly enough so last night's downpour will probably have produced a marrow overnight.

it will also have given the slugs an unwelcome boost of energy.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Some very heavy rain here yesterday and during the night. Really must check the courgettes every day now. The slightest drop of water makes them grow quickly enough so last night's downpour will probably have produced a marrow overnight.

There you go then Primrose, you can enter the marrow competition after all.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Went to Holehird garden near Windermere on a lovely day today. Among lots of other things they have a national collection of astilbes and amazing hydrangeas all in a wonderful setting, well worth a visit if you are up in The Lakes.

IMG_3927_R.jpg
IMG_3927_R.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
Westi
KG Regular

Peter thank you very much!

I will crack this photo issue, be sure of that - & in the meantime I appreciate your interventions! Feel free to pm me how to do that big arrow thing - that would be useful for some of my work presentations. Remember I have Mr Apple - strange beast indeed compared to Mr Normal computer!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Peter thank you very much!

I will crack this photo issue, be sure of that - & in the meantime I appreciate your interventions! Feel free to pm me how to do that big arrow thing - that would be useful for some of my work presentations. Remember I have Mr Apple - strange beast indeed compared to Mr Normal computer!

Android Gallery App let's you add stuff to pictures, including freehand (free finger) drawing. :?
I are mostly using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic