Early Summer bits and bobs - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Got my Blightwatch this morning. Certainly passed the humidity test, 31.2mm yesterday and still raining.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We are on all clear today after yesterdays full alert.

I am not convinced getting last minute notifications is of any benefit, there is nothing to be done at that stage to prevent and it is still a case of inspecting plants carefully for signs of blight.
I remove and destroy infected leaves and parts as soon as they are seen.

Once the main stem is badly infected, if there is nothing to be harvested I dig the plant out.
Unfortunately trying to get any toms to ripen on or off the plant usually result in black unusable rotting toms.
Luckily I have never have had blight go down to the potato tubers so far.

Any infected parts are removed from site to local green waste recycling unit (I did write 'recycling plant' but figured someone would pick up on it :D )

I seem to recall reading somewhere that spray watering during a blight period reduces the risks.
a) that seems impractical for the periods involved
b) given that damp humid conditions are what kicks it off surely watering would merely exacerbate the problem.
c) other users at our plots would soon get fed up waiting to use the taps. We have 4.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
KG Steve
KG Editor

Thought twice about moving my outdoor potted toms indoors in case they are already affected (although they look healthy). Worried that if they are they might spread it to the plants in the greenhouse. Decisions, decisions! It's not easy being a gardener!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Strong winds and horizontal rain today, not a lot going to happen outside today.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I got a warning today!

I get some comfort from this over zealous Hutton - if it was a Smith period I would panic big time! I expect I should panic anyway but had about 5 or so of these now & spuds still standing!
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

We've had rain for the last couple days. Today's problem..... what to do with 18 courgettes......

Pawty
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Thought I'd share what I did with the manure heap as an experiment as I don't have much space. Half has been spread. The other half has been covered with plastic. I've planted squash plants around the base, which I'm hoping with cover the heap. I'm hoping for a pretty successful crop! Will post an updat in a month to see how quickly they grow!

Funny - the picture make the heap look small - it isn't!

Pawty
Attachments
IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3859 times
Geoff
KG Regular

Another Hutton period email today. It is worth reminding these are weather condition reports, nothing to do with blight itself. If you want to see if blight is actually about this site might help https://blight.ahdb.org.uk/blight-report - looks OK so far.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just got back from a holiday in Holt, Norfolk, as i felt pretty burnt out...feel a little like my old self, but still not quite my old self...Probably all the walking i did, didn't help. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Today's problem..... what to do with 18 courgettes......

Pawty

Leave them anonymously on your neighbours' doorsteps after dark and run like hell. This is barely more sociable behaviour than fly tipping! :lol:

Looks like you might end up having to do the same with your squash manure plants too!
Last edited by Primrose on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just got back from a holiday in Holt, Norfolk, as i felt pretty burnt out...feel a little like my old self, but still not quite my old self...Probably all the walking i did, didn't help. :)

Don't expect it will help when you see how the weeds have thrived on your plot in your absence either ! December and January seem to be the only two months when the average keen gardener dares to take a holiday !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OH, sounds like you have been overdoing it. Hope you feel more like your normal self quickly.

You really should realise by now that just because those "Boots Were Made for Walking" it doesn't mean you have to.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Started early this morning, and i must admit, it was very nice to have my hands back in the soil.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I pulled my elephant garlic up yesterday ,nothing really big a couple went to around five inches in diameter
but each one had small nodules on the bottom , it's the first time I've grown elephant garlic if I plant them will they grow or should I dry them and plant in Autumn
Geoff
KG Regular

Well as it is the month end I totted up my solar panel figures, we might have had a nice spell but overall June was pretty disappointing, continuing the trend for the year when you look at year to date.

June 2015 758 units YTD 2,688
June 2016 673 units YTD 2,649
June 2017 632 units YTD 2,593
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic