Controversial diet matters.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Just ordered a couple of second cropping grow bag kits, so will be able to experiment with different types, so making notes of your likes.
robo
KG Regular

I've grown Charlotte in bags this year they were good but did not get a lot I've grown Aran which have been very disappointing won't bother with them again Pentland javelin and rocket have been great nice tasting and a good crop I'm only half way through digging them up
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Charlotte was always my favourite and I found it easy to grow compared with PFA or Anja which was the name I forgot. Have said that I'm only two crops experienced.

Right now I have new chicken stock from the chicken I buy for Beti, Beti will play God Save The Queen on a bugle for chicken. It isn't soup time of year but I'm having soup with whatever I have in fridge vegetable drawer plus today's sourdough. I'm still iffy on sourdough.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"It isn't soup time of year" It seems like it today 14 degrees (some people have log burners on) raining earlier (whilst taking dog out) beech covered in foam and now there is a mist.
Geoff
KG Regular

We are on soup today, calabrese glut, calabrese cheese yesterday, calabrese and stilton today.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, I have far too many people acquainted and friends who think I'm quaint because I hate throwing stuff away and I use it regardless.

All I have is celery, potato, carrot, onion, garlic, cauliflower and calabrese but I dislike calabrese in soup and have never used cauly in soup assuming it behaves in a similar way.

Plenty of good bread though the sourdough won't be good until tomorrow. Sourdough tastes Naff after just cooling whereas a yeast bread tastes nice just cooled.

No electricity again untill 12 today, my internet and phone work of a 12 volt back-up.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Noodles again, in keeping with the topic.

On a more serious note I started drinking borage tea As a result of advise from a herbalist, the Romans used it to fortify themselves for battle and considering the vagueries of what we get injected into our media I though I would give it a go with the Romans.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Richard!

Listen to your body not the 'average body' the herbalists & the like base their data on! Get in touch with what you need, not the neighbours or Mr or Mrs 'Average'! You are obviously studied & know your stuff - take the leap, gain confidence in what you need to keep you happy & healthy! I know when I need something as I get a craving for it & no not always chocolate! :) :)
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

We've been harvesting charlottes for a few weeks now - excellent as a new, and continues to be good as they grow.

A have a pretty good diet now - am a definite meat eater. We travel all over the place, which can be tricky if you don't. Two of our travel friends are vegetarians (who eat fish now). I remember being on a 10 day dive trip with them and the comment was - vegetarian? But you eat chicken yes?

But at uni, I lived on pot noodles (and cider) and it hasn't done me any harm! In fact they had a pot noodle vending machine in the union. My mum would try and hide some veg in my bag but that would have required cooking! And we've been known to take them camping when we've been in remote places.

But now.... I have an allotment.

Pawty
jeff64
KG Regular

re-what you eat,i follow the fact that if you eat 2000 calories and burn 1500 off most people will get fat,it works for me(i am fat).
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

This thread is going in a very interesting direction and thank you for all the comments, I'm surprised the noodles thing hasn't created outrage amongst gardeners.

Thanks Westi, that's an interesting insight. Fat people trying to loose weight often get cravings because their new diet doesn't suit what the body got used too, also, some tend to go into an activity regime that is far too active for their fat burning threshold so they use up blood sugar rather than body fats and start craving sugar or cake. Other cravings are interesting though take more explaining than I'm even loosely qualified to explain.

My borage tea drinking is a result of advise from a self-taught herbalist, this lady is a very interesting "White witch" with extensive knowledge of Norse legend and other ancient cultures together with the use of plants. Drinking borage tea has made some changes though I'm not able to describe those changes.

The use of Borage, or Starflower, is well documented. What I find interesting is the warnings, same warnings you get by using dandelion or plant sterols or any other plant material that can't be controlled by pharmaceuticals. Using garlic for dogs is another example, the book I have written by the lady herbalist in Dorset I mentioned before advocates raw garlic in your dogs food when our vetenary practice informs us that garlic is poison to our dogs.

We all started using spreads on our bread rather than butter, then spreads became dangerous and butter healthy. Not many years ago you couldn't get some decent butter or full fat milk in anyone's home because everyone had been brainwashed.

Regarding your comment Jeff, some people don't get hungry and some are always hungry in the same way our bodies don't always tell us in time that we are dehydrated. I often have to eat though I'm not hungry, it's been a problem in that I have often gone into low blood sugar. I am mostly slim, I put on weight when I was recovering from surgery then lost it after recovery. Some people are hungry and become 'Hobby-eaters' when they don't need food and the sweet tooth thing is to do with blood sugar response that is out of control.
Richard.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Hi Richard!

Listen to your body ..... I know when I need something as I get a craving for it & no not always chocolate! :) :)

So true. I wasn't a big veg eater when I was younger, but while living in Spain for a few months (as a mature student), I suddenly got a craving that led to me heading to the market for a big bag of vegetables!
That 'craving' felt nothing like the ones I get for cake and chocolate, and i'm sure was my body telling me that something veg-related was lacking in my diet at that time .
Admittedly, I did also give in to the chocolate craving a lot during that period. I remember telling a German friend this, and she told me that it's well known that chocolate is a substitute for sex. When I innocently told her that I didn't think that was true, and anyway, I only ate it at night, she fell about laughing for some reason :oops: :lol:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

That made me smile and perhaps qualifies my habit of needing to drink wine after a certain time and when I cook food though it's mostly late afternoon, won't be long before some research uncovers boozing and long life in the same way as coffee is linked.

I don't really think and of this published research holds much water when more research has shown that research won't be published unless it's controversial.
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Out of the two, I think I would give chocolate the miss.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Bit unclear, are you sticking with the wine or the vegetables?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic