A view of my garden

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Creative as usual Richard!
I wonder if the wee pea tendrils will attach to the mesh? If you pull the mesh a bit in opposite directions the mesh opens up a bit (Only found this out on the weekend trying to attach some to the fence with wire ties), so maybe if you did this at a few points along width at different heights it would have a dual purpose - wind break & frame. Not a hassle at end of season, let them dry off & brush them off the mesh & use for years to come.

Tiger - creative as well & could well work! Good you've got the height in the greenhouse to grow sweetcorn. My 2 that germinated are going in the back garden to be molly coddled into maybe 4 cobs! :)
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Nearly full.jpg
Nearly full.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 9191 times

Brassicas.jpg
Brassicas.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 9191 times

Rabbit proofed brassicas.jpg
Rabbit proofed brassicas.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 9191 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh I do enjoy nosing round other people's gardens and these photos are the next best thing. And I love the sun hat and the umbrella in the greenhouse. You're certainly prepared for all eventualities! Nice spring cabbage and dwarf beans. Am a little surprised your beans are surviving this early so far north but I guess the wooden frame is giving them some protection and helping to keep the soil slightly warmer than the normal ground might be.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

That's what I'm hoping Primrose, I do have some inside the greenhouse amongst the tomatoes as insurance/earlier crop. The cabbages are golden acre primo along with Romanesque cauli's , the rabbit proof bit is brussels. Swedes to go in when they are a bit bigger, there's 2 rows of parsnips seeds in there too(running out of space). When the summer cabbage have been scoffed the winter ones will go in behind them where the beans now sit........possibly.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Much needed rain has cancelled tomorrows fishing trip, but this is the first day for a month that I have not had to water the garden.
Pawty
KG Regular

We've had some pretty fierce storms - hale storm yesterday! All my plants in tha back garden took a right battering. A couple of my rather tall and leggy tomatillos got snapped in two - but I'm hoping that these will develop branches - just like pinching out. Maybe....

With the help of mr Pawty I'm hoping to start planting today! Although sorting the runner beans out may be like a challenge from the krypton factor.

Pawty
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

We had a lovely sunny day with clear skies though a very cold breeze. T shirt and shorts with flimsy tops for the girls and lots of wobbly flesh on display from both.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

More drizzle than proper rain up here, but welcome non the less.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's pouring down now. I managed to mow the lawns but got rather wet before it got really bad also was careful not to electrocute myself.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Not funny is it, I'm sitting here on the south aspect waiting for the washing to dry but keeping out of the breeze which is cold. A few dark clouds scoot past but that's it.

I'll be watering my hedging plants again in an hour, bone dry on top. Having said that I put covers back on my climbing beans because it's probably too cold at night for them.

Anyone want a photo of my best Pembrokeshire bank in full flower ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

A bit of drizzle here today but still no proper prolonged rain. Three weather websites 'promised' torrential rain for Monday afternoon but that has now been reduced to heavy showers. Spent all morning lugging watering cans about and could still do with more .....
Geoff
KG Regular

Of course we do Richard. Went for a paper this morning and the Cotton Grass was beautiful on the moor then down the hill the banks were covered with Cow Parsley and Pink Campion, a stunning wild show.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Mostly contrived though it's taken 17 years to yet this small bank established as perennial, we now have Welsh poppy coming up every year in the drive chippings together with aquilegia. The farmhouse next to us has always had them, it's not easy and then it happens.
Attachments
IMG_1147.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg (104.76 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg (148.74 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

These are views of the lane that runs past the barn and the farmhouse, right now the valley is noisy with racket of silage cutting, gathering and eventually baling. I prefer this racket to traffic noise every day. And a view of the valley below us know as 'collects' because it always holds water and is said to be the bottom of the volcano-bowl that forms the valley.

The soil types and stones would be interesting to anyone invested in archeology.
Attachments
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg (107.92 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

A little early for a full show of local wildflower though they are emerging along with the carpet of buttercup that will soon cover the paddock. And a photo of where the paddock meets the terrace that stops rainwater cascading down from the upper fields and swamping us. We don't flood but we did have problems before a local JCB owner and his cousin sorted us out with some preventive landscaping.

One of the tracks further down the lane has all it's top soils removed by rainwater sluicing down the hillside, also the lane the photos has lost most of it's topsoil.
Attachments
IMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg (159.41 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg (146.96 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
IMG_1153.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic