Full blown Spring Bits and Bobs. - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

How odd to you think I'd look if I raked the little green between the cul-de-sacs where I live? The council has mowed it, but where they usually collect the grass as well for their compost business they haven't bothered this time & at a guess there would be several bin bags full just laying there begging me to take it to lottie for mulching.

Only problem is I can see feel the curtains twitching already & can see me getting a telling off for removing it by someone for some reason or another. I got challenged for collecting some dropped small branches for peas supports there, being told it is a public place owned by all & not for my personal use! Wot are they like hey? I took my branches by the way, as I am part of the 'public' as well as just taking some not all - walked away with not kindly thoughts of the individual concerned tripping over the ones left! :)
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi I would just do it if anyone said anything tell them to kiss your (you know )
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I would say you are just doing your bit to keep the area looking nice for everyone if anyone comments. I sometimes do tidying or planting or just litter picking around here and most people make appreciative comments, or I find out I've been watched when neighbours ask what I was doing (eg. " On Monday evening after Eastenders") when I meet them in the shop a few days later.

If you just do it they can hardly make you put it back.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

At last we've had proper rain! 5 mm yesterday afternoon and evening which is nearly half of the total for the whole month.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I would do it ...If challenge would say I am recycling.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Ring the council on Tuesday, sure they'll say help yourself, then you can tell the interfering what's it what to do, with smug satisfaction.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

An overcast morning here in the extensive grounds (cough) of the Snip domicile . Writing from the west wing I am just hoping that I finish before the plane takes off, wing walking is not a speciality.

Just approaching 07:30am and currently 8 degrees with a high of 14 predicted.
Have almost caught up on my home sowing programme. Need to make more space in the greenhouse (suffering quart into pint pot syndrome).

Have more peas to sow in guttering (not that which is fixed on the house) also have yet to sow selection of brassica's.
Beetroot & Carrots to be sown, but that will be direct sowings on the plot.

Marrow, courgette , pumpkin sweetcorn all sown in modules recently, one seed per pot, some coming up already.
Initial short 8ft run of early onward peas ready to go to plot just to get some tasters under way.

Tomatoes not germinating !!!!!

Currently pulling rhubarb (not right this minute as I am actually currently typing) purple sprouting broccoli is doing well, and very fortunate that a fellow plot holder has gone away for a month and told me to help myself to his asparagus, mmm it's tasty.
Some of the smaller onions could be used , the beds don't need thinning but there are enough planted to use some for salad and I can't be bothered to wait for the quick growing spring onions :lol:

Have a good weekend all

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I can't get my Crimson Crush to germinate and the Tumbling Toms aren't great either Pa.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

So many problems to sort out in my home I haven't had time to consider any gardening though one job was to pull up all the kale that had gone to seed, I walked one to the plot this morning and both beds of kale, one curly and one black were alive with bees enjoying the flower heads.

How could I possibly pull them up now and I'm so happy I didn't pull those kale plants out weeks ago.

I'm still here but struggling.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

I've no problem with tomatoes germinating it's little gem lettuce that I'm having problems with
Westi
KG Regular

My issue is getting the sweetcorn germinating, although the brassica's are slow off the mark as well with some significant gaps. It's weird isn't it that each year something else decides to be difficult & the one that wasn't too good from last year has shot up? Someone explain that?

Looks like rain down here tomorrow, I am fine with showers at lottie but proper rain will mean a no go! I am remaining optimistic but the % chance is 90 now, so pretty sure I will be catching up on my magazine reading & moaning about the muddy paw prints!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

My most leggy tomatoes have been planted outdoors today under cover of large plastic water bottle cloches. Couldn,t risk them getting any taller so have had to take the risk. I have planted them very deep to try and reduce their height and was shocked how dry the soil was even that deep down so have just given them a thorough drink and will keep my fingers crossed.

I've sown four courgette seeds from last year's packet and annoyingly only one has germinated. Luckily there's still time to resow.
Picked some more rhubarb today. Stalks going limp through soil dryness. don't know how people are coping on allotments with no water. The only blessing i that respect is that the weather hasn,t been hotter.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi

Things seem to be taking a while to germinate .... my windowsills are full!

Had a couple couple of good days digging on the lotty ..... with a few helpers. Picture courtesy of Mr Pawty.
Attachments
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG (194.54 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Tour de Yorkshire cycle race finishes in our town today so I'll be gardening until it arrives this afternoon. There are so many roads closed I'm not going to try driving anywhere. It should be exciting watching them finish though.

I'm just looking out of the window and can see a blackbird stuffing brown bread into it's little ginger baby's beak. Oops I hope it gets a drink of water and some worms for afters.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I'm just looking out of the window and can see a blackbird stuffing brown bread into it's little ginger baby's beak. Oops I hope it gets a drink of water and some worms for afters.

Yes, otherwise it could well be brown bread

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic