Full blown Spring Bits and Bobs. - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well until Monday, when it looks as if the temperature is going to crash by 12 degrees.... :)

Happy gardening everyone....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Beautiful down here as well. Not such an extreme drop in temperature expected next week only about 3/4 degrees, but I expect it will feel colder than that leads you to believe.

All my wee plants have had a growth spurt on with the great light & warmth, and I've planted some of the tomatoes & aubergines into their big pots in the greenhouse, but they have a fleece wrapped around each pot to protect. I have potted them on so many times I basically couldn't be bothered anymore so only myself to blame if mother nature decides to flex her muscles!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Temps crashing here all ready, was 30 degrees in the greenhouse with both vents open.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

SELECTIVE HEARING !!!!! when parents and grandparents cannot recognise that their kids don't speak at normal levels, THEY SHOUT AND SCREECH EVERY WORD.
Ended up turning my hearing aids off today and still couldnt cope with the noise level coming from 3 little darlings on the next plot.

I'm all for encouraging kids to participate on the plot, they are the gardeners and allotmenteers of tomorrow, but wish the allegedly responsible adults had some thought for others. I wasn't the only one affected , two gave up and went home

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
retropants
KG Regular

It was 37 in my greenhouse earlier!! Tommies and peppers seemed to be enjoying the heat. Chilly now, my feet are cold, and the heating is off.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Isn't Spring wonderful. I've just had a stroll round the garden in the sunshine to enjoy it. We spend so much time trying to get all the jobs done that we don't spend enough time just appreciating the beauty of it all.

There are two robins sharing a splash about in the bird bath, hedgehog tracks all over the bottom lawn, song thrushes, blackbirds, wrens, dunnocks and others whizzing about with nesting material and there are masses of tadpoles wriggling about in both ponds, with a backdrop of all the spring flowers and blossom and new green shoots. :D
Pawty
KG Regular

Feels a bit like spring!
Attachments
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG (923.57 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
robo
KG Regular

My plotting has finished for at least five weeks I have to take my wife for treatment every day for five weeks we may have to go to a hospital over thirty miles away but tomorrow at least we are local
tigerburnie
KG Regular

robo wrote:My plotting has finished for at least five weeks I have to take my wife for treatment every day for five weeks we may have to go to a hospital over thirty miles away but tomorrow at least we are local

Oh dear, I hope all is well and a recovery is round the corner.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Lovely down at lottie today. 18 degrees but we did have a sea breeze. It was so lovely I stayed down for 7 hours and it is looking pretty good for the effort, and great hopes for a productive summer. (I will pay for that graft though, my back is complaining already)!

Proper harvest of asparagus today, some rhubarb and what will probably be the last of the PSB as it is trying hard to flower.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Spent all morning gardening at home, mainly sowing half-hardy annuals and herbs in the lightly heated greenhouse.
And this afternoon we went to see great-grandchild No.2, a little boy born on Monday. Compared to his 14-month-old girl cousin, he looks and feels so teeny and vulnerable, but with good lungs!
peter
KG Regular

Saturday.
Bodged two fence panels in herb patch.
Ladies Day at Rugby Club, did bar as usual, much busier, 26 - 12 at half time, we looked up to find it was 33 - 33 last play of the match a penalty to us five yards in pitch on their 22, slotted it home. Got home at seven as the drinkers liked it up by the pitch, blokes avoiding their inebriated spouses.
Sunday.
Allotment Shop duty.
Bodged the non-opening leaf of the back gate to the site.
A Field Maple stump is lifting the hinge end and pushing the bottom into the site. Axe, mattock and three bits of paving slab got it near vertical and the bottom bolt padlocked into a relocated steel pipe in the ground.
Big rotovator out, did half of a friends plot. Then my rough dug area.
Spread the maure out, added chicken manure pelleys and growmore. Rotovated that in, tidied the edges and moved the squash plot weed membrane across.
IMG_20170409_191256.jpg
IMG_20170409_191256.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4717 times
IMG_20170409_191308.jpg
IMG_20170409_191308.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 4717 times

Enjoyed the sunset for a bit under my quince and my cowslips were blooming in the carpark on the way out.
IMG_20170409_190623.jpg
IMG_20170409_190623.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4717 times
IMG_20170409_191903.jpg
IMG_20170409_191903.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 4717 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Nice varied post Peter, most interesting pictures.

You obviously have far more energy than I have now.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Grow your own?
We bought a cauliflower at Aldi today for 29p labelled Cornwall variety Clemen.
http://www.unwins.co.uk/cauliflower-cle ... d3931.html
How do they do it?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Does make you wonder.

Also makes me wonder why the bulk of plots on our site cant grow them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic