Summer Snowflake bulbs

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've been given a delightful pot of Summer Snowflake bulbs in bloom which look like giant snowdrops but which flower in later spring than normal snowdrops.

Has anybody grown them? I'm trying to discover if they will naturalise in the same way as ordinary snowdrops if I plant them out and leave them to their own devices.
Geoff
KG Regular

I agree, a lovely plant. Yes they naturalise and multiply, then most bulbs do here (why the Lake District is famous for Daffodils).

IMG_3818_R.jpg
IMG_3818_R.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3873 times

IMG_3817_R.jpg
IMG_3817_R.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3873 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Lovely photos Geoff. Many thanks. There were just six bulbs in the pot so I will have to be patient and see how long they take to develop into clumps like yours. (If I live long enough !!). Do you divide yours at all? (Or were these photos not from your garden?)
Geoff
KG Regular

We don't divide them unless somebody asks for some, they create big bulbs larger than Daffodils. They are all in the garden, there is a bigger clump in another part of the garden where we thought we moved them from!
Diane
KG Regular

Yes, they grow very well in our garden too. Come up year after year.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic