Temptingly early Spring Bits and Bobs.- 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:What's the rugby club Peter, ex player myself.

Never played since school, my son joined the club at under 11s and I'm still there twelve years later.
An active volunteer, supporter and social member, now a VP.

We are sitting at the top of National Two South right now. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Leicester Lions were formed by two sides joining together, sitting 4th in Nat 2 North, I played for Wigston RFC, same club where Martin Johnson began, which is now half of the Lions. Began in the back row, migrating forward as I got heavier and slower, played 4 & 5, even played a bit of loosehead, though at 6 foot 4 a tad tall back in those days.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

We call it kick and clap up here haha,if you want to play a proper game have a go at league ,I'm left with knees that won't bend and a nose that won't work not to mention my back but I lived for rugby ,it's a few years ago mind
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote: though at 6 foot 4 a tad tall back in those days.

(Smile)

I love rugby and particularly the clever use of individual skills, sometimes even big-blokes are quick, mesmerising to watch as they plough away the few who have kept-up. Always scared for the little blokes though,
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Well Well!!

I wasn't expecting this!
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG (4 MiB) Viewed 3040 times

IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG (3.37 MiB) Viewed 3040 times

Other than this very exciting event, rat bait down, but think they may have forged a new path around the shed, or maybe just looking for another way in the shed. Peas re-sown, seedlings put in the gaps in the overwintered broad beans, new tomato / chilli / cucumber protection shelter built (minus roof currently), lots of weeding done & second runner bean trench dug. I was controlled & sowed nothing, but harvested my last cauliflower, loads of PSB & my experimental overwintered outdoor salad plants were big enough to harvest along with some lambs lettuce that always survives. Oh - & dog entertained throughout! :D

And now Mother Nature is going to turn that all on it's head this coming week judging by tonights weather report.
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Yay, one row of Foremost planted. :D :D
90% of plot 18 fully rotovated, after today's session with my RTT3 6.5hp and not a Peter print to be seen. :)

BTW if we're serious about newcomers Mike has been waiting since 14th for a Seasonal Tip on Tomato watering. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi Westi..Can I ask what it is in the picture?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'm thinking asparagus, not my favourite veggie
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:
BTW if we're serious about newcomers Mike has been waiting since 14th for a Seasonal Tip on Tomato watering. :?

Interesting observation from Peter.

Despite having been on site a number of times each day (not always signed in but sometimes so)
this is the first morning I have come across Mike's post.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I managed to cut the paddock grass yesterday, nice and dry but cold. Today , sopping wet again.

The barn is in turmoil because of decorating, mending and new carpets. Beti is not allowed to go upstairs much to her chagrin though she has settled to the idea and like all dogs is a master of finding comfort, this is Beti settled after waking me for her breakfast at 5.30.
Attachments
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Looks like Westi is going to be in for an early tasty treat

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Why do they sleep like that, ours does it too?
Cutting grass, in my dreams, 45mm rain from Friday to now. I've not even summoned up the enthusiasm to finish servicing the mower.
A batch of Christmas trees due for delivery today, some Norway some Nordmanniana, planting them through fabric that I haven't laid yet and it is still blowing and raining. Good investment, less than £2 each compared to £50 for a grown one.
robo
KG Regular

I only found Mike's post after Peter mentioned it , we had our first asparagus last night
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Someone suggested I should grow Christmas trees as an earner, the idea of having to use a brush cutter more often than I do already put me off the idea. Ok, I could plant in sensible rows so I can use a ride-on mower but I would still have to work around the trees, I already have around 300 yards of banks that need a heavy brush cutter.

We had a windy dry day yesterday so the grasses did dry though I had left the grass to grow far to long so ended up with a lot of yellow, when it dries again ill run around with a chain-link harrow type of thing that doesn't work very well but does break the lines of rotting grass a little and move it around.

I would be interested to see a photo of the root size of your trees, a lot of my paddock has very thin top soil though there are patches of deeper top soil where the moles have instated themselves, Mole-Man will sort them out, the story goes is that he collected !80 mole from traps in one day. At a £5 a mole, thats an earner. A neighbour who just had Mole Man over said they have so much soil from the moles they are starting raised beds, and from just three moles.

I'll keep you-all in touch with Mole-Mans activities.
Richard.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Looking out of the window.It is as Black as Kelly's knocker.
Locked Previous topicNext topic