A view of my garden

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

A different picture as I removed the original by mistake
Leeks.jpg
Leeks.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 30165 times
Last edited by tigerburnie on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Ah it worked, I have three of these raised beds, used them last year for the first time, the greenhouse is brand new, been around 20 years since I had one, really looking forward to using that this summer. The plan is for 5 different types of tomato and 4 different chillies and peppers, bulb fennel and sweetcorn will also be under glass as our summers are just too unreliable to get a crop outside. Then there's a melon and some salad and early strawberries, already I'm thinking it's not going to be big enough.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Enthusiasm can overcome any little problem, Tigerburnie.....just don't do too many of any one variety. :)

Looks as if you have a lovely set up there, i can see many an hour of enjoyment, ahead.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Thanks OH, the plan is for 3 plants of each tomato and pepper variety and one Melon, a dozen or so sweetcorn and that will be full. Some of the tommies will go in hanging baskets to save room and I think most of the chillies will be in pots so I can put them in the conservatory if I over winter any. I have Jalapeno, De Cayenne(free with the magazine) Peruvian Lemon Drop and Sweet Pepper rainbow mix along with Moneymaker(freebies), Supersweet 100, Ailsa Craig, Tumbling Tom for the hanging baskets and Crimson Crush as a blight resistant one(just in case)
Westi
KG Regular

Looks like there is a fair bit of room to have a couple more raised beds in the future & you could build hoop covers over those to extend the season a bit TB!

Love the roof line of your house - or is that the neighbours?
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I did have one bed covered last year Westie, with roots in it, carrots, beets, celeriac, parsnips and bulb fennel. Not all were successful though, the fennel went to seed and the celeriac was small, the rest were great, but I lost the under planted lettuce to slugs, they ended up as sacrificial plants to save the rest. Short rooted carrots were great though. I have one of those blow away tunnels that my wife bought some years back, the frame was smashed by the winds, so water pipe was used to make the frame. I even made a tall "igloo" round the sweetcorn to gain a bit of extra heat. Trouble is I'm a mile from the sea, so the wind keeps beating things up unless very sturdy.
Westi
KG Regular

Evening TB!

I think you should research covering all the beds to extend the season for you up there. Richard is in a very exposed area & has built some pretty impressive covers for his raised beds that turned out pretty successful. Search his posts for the photos or send him a message & he could send you the pics & advice.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Thanks Westi, I'll do that
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Ahh, whilst tidying up my flickr site, I seem to have removed the image for this thread.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't understand - I thought photos were uploaded. Publishing doesn't leave a path back to the source does it?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It does if you use your flickr account Geoff, gives info at the bottom, which ironically is still there even though the image has gone.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

peter
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I don't understand - I thought photos were uploaded. Publishing doesn't leave a path back to the source does it?

It does if you upload them direct to this forum, external links are different.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Inside the greenhouse Strawbs all growing strongly, 20 degrees in there and the autovent just opening, not bad for this far north on a March morning.
Moved a few over wintered pots of carnations outside and started to plant out chamomile and thyme in the gaps in the crazy paving surrounding the g/house, so more room inside now.
First crops in the soil popping through, some radish and iceberg lettuce. Small blowaway inside is brimming with stuff sprouting now, white cabbage and Romanesque and brussels all sprouting nicely. Broad beans on the go, but no sign of alpine strawbs or celeriac yet.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Dug a bag of manure into each raised bed in preparation for seed planting outside, covered bed has seeds sprouting though, radish carrots and white beetroot showing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic