Grapes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Actually should read question for Pawty!

I've cut back my grapes & tied them in like the plot holders down the road who get a good crop of large grapes. They have 2 longer laterals left each side, so copied that. Should I mulch them is Q1 & Q2 is that the right thing to do with the laterals? Eating grapes not wine grapes, 1 black & 1 white.

You obviously know there is another 'few' Questions coming but will let you off easy with just 2 now. Well maybe not - here's Q3 - when I have to give up the plot they are on next year will they transplant OK when dormant? They are probably about 4 - 5 years old & already moved once from home, but survived that.

I know you're on a learning curve also, but you've got insider knowledge so to speak!

Thanks in advance. Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Re the transplanting, do you know that you will definitely have to give up your plot at a time when the vines are dormant? If this can,t be totally guaranteed I,m wondering if there would be some merit in moving them this winter and perhaps transplanting them while dormant shortly into those massive builders bags. I suspect that moving them in leaf may we'll be too much of a shock for them especially if you're unable to keep them regularly watered. After all small vines do grow in barrels and other patio container so ai,m sure they would probably survive.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi Westi, I helped with the pruning this year - they don't prune until early spring (post winter). But yes, the trick is to cut off this years runners which produced grapes and choose two good new runners which you tie down. When starting out and still building up confidence (like me) it's good to keep three in case you accidently break one when you tie in. You can then snip off the one you don't use. You also have to think about which shoots will produce next years runners I.e you cut down to a good looking bud.

A good thing to do straight after pruning is to seel the cuts - my mum in law uses a special paint (I'd need to ask her what it is). It prevents infection of the vines, although they never use to do this.

They don't mulch but tend to leave the grass trimmings around the vines. my thought would be yes - I'll ask and let you know what she says.

Not sure how easy it would be to move an established vine?? I'd have thought they have quite deep roots? I have a feeling that she's taken cuttings before to replace / fill gaps - if so, might be worth considering this and keeping then in some large pots?? I'll ask her and let you know as there may be an issue with stock and disease.

There's Always something new to learn. I'm hoping to do a course next year.

My mum in law loves teaching me, so keep the questions coming!

Pawty
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Up date from my incredibly knowledgable mum in law...

To mulch or not to mulch -

''You can mulch to suppress weeds but vines naturally grow in poor soil and don't need extra, though there may be trace elements they need'

To take cuttings from existing vines (one way of keeping your vines going if you can't move them) -

Vines strike easily from cuttings, and they layer easily too.

'to take hardwood vine cuttings take a good healthy cane, cut below a node and snip out the bud from that node and the next one up, leave another 2 buds so you have a length about a foot to 15 inches long and make a clean slanting cut above the top bud. insert in preferably sandy soil and keep damp and frost free. If you take half a dozen theres a good chance of getting some. After one year cut back to 2 buds again and with luck you’ll get a strong shoot in year 2. Ideally paint the cuts with protective paint - we use acrylic undercoat in tester pots.

make a slanting cut at the bottom to make it easier to push into the soil because we put them into the rows directly where we want them.'

Keep on asking questions - mum in law loves answering and I learn at the same time!

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers Pawty & Primrose!

I think I will take cuttings - even though I don't give up lottie 2 until 31/12/2017 so surely dormant, they have had a wee shock already in their life so maybe time to start again & be patient. I kind of know they didn't like good soil which is why I asked so will just mulch with something without too much nutrients! I'll go down on the weekend & take some cuttings & pot them up, got loads of paint samples as waiting to decorate - fortuitous!

Just to confirm - I take a cutting with 4 buds & cut out the bottom 2 & plant that end in the soil?

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic