What I harvested today!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Primrose : perhaps your iPad is too clever by half and uses text recognition, I must climb up and find out why that box is upside down.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

I'm still harvesting courgettes. :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I picked the last of my courgettes yesterday.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Another year where we, and our neighbours, are glad to see the back of courgettes. :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

We have had none at all this year I gave up after the fourth attempt at sowing
Westi
KG Regular

Robo I had the same problem - bought in plants in the end which is why I'm still harvesting as well! All my pot sown plants died, & every other sowing either didn't appear or died when tiny! One of the Crown Prince plants I bought is about the same size it was when I put it in - alive but just didn't do anything.

Any suggestions what went wrong there would be welcome! Usually I just pop a seed direct & get a brilliant crop!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I pulled this today has anyone grown them I love them but they are normally smaller than this one , I will give you all a clue the late Kenneth Williams always had one
P1010215.JPG
P1010215.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi Robo,

Assume that's a mooli! Looks great!

I've tried several times to grow these but failed. Always had poor germination and very small (probably down to me not thinning properly)

Did you grow them in a raised bed?

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I grow mooli and quite like it. I succession sow just a few on the end of rows, as they can get quite big if left in too long, so still have a few around the plot.

It gives crunch to stir fries in rings or batons, I grate it into salads as it tastes cool & refreshing (that temp not hip hop), and throw it into stews and stuff. I believe it is a radish but there is not much heat, wrapped tightly in a cling film sausage it keeps crunchy for several days as well. I'm sure there are quite a few other things you could use it for if you researched, it's also nice just raw & dipped in a little bit of salt or as crudités into dips as well.

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

It is a Mooli, I am as far as I know the only one on our allotment that grows them but I've never had them this big before
Pawty, I did grow it in a raised bed but the top six inches was sticking above the surface
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Still picking tomatoes and a couple of courgettes nearly ready. Chard good and carrots and beetroot.

Will clear tomatoes next week about three pounds left on.
Westi
KG Regular

This is todays little harvest, the frosty start turned out short lived. Last 2 courgettes, only tiny but the plants have gone, so consider myself lucky to have these that didn't freeze as the leaves drooped on them as they got caught! Tasted my first natural frozen raspberries and blackberries as I mooched about - wish I had some cream! :D

IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 9079 times

Westi
PS: The indigo rose tomatoes are from the back garden not lottie, thought it was too cute a truss to risk leaving it outside.
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:
PS: The indigo rose tomatoes are from the back garden not lottie, thought it was too cute a truss to risk leaving it outside.

Nice days harvest, a question came immediately to mind, when the toms are in early stages of ripening do they not look like they might have got the dreaded blight

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

Great days harvest Westi - I had to do a double take of the mooli next to the parsnip! Robo - you've got competition.

Pawty
robo
KG Regular

No pawty they are tiny parsnips haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic