TV gardening programmes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barry
KG Regular

It makes no sense to me that both Gardeners' World and Beechgrove Garden have just finished their current series on the BBC.

For me, now if the KEY time of year to prepare ground, move plants and plant barerooted trees.

It is also when I change infrastructure, put in paths, gather leaves and horse pooh, and dig, among other things.

There are so many different ways of doing all these things and they have a profound impact on the success of next year's crop, so it would be good to see how the experts do them.

Also it is a myth that people stop being interested in gardening just because it is getting cold, isn't it?

And what exactly are they going to replace these programmes with?

Is it me that thinks the BBC is missing a trick here?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Barry, since us gardeners have less to do on the long dark evenings of Winter, it would be nice to have something garden related on. Even if it was things to be planning for in the New year.....so totally agree and was only talking to my eldest Son about the very same thing Friday night.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

There are obviously nokeen gardeners on the BBC programming team! I'm sure keen gardeners would welcome something to keep our spirits and interest up during the dark winter months. there are all kinds of gardening related topics which could be explored for which there is not time during the summer programme.
I would love to see some in-detail discussion of issues like:

dealing with different soil types
how commercial growers grow their vegetable crops
what best to grow in very small areas
detailed descriptions and illustrations of diseases and bug and helping growers to identify them.

.... I could go on and on. I feel a letter to the BBC coming on. Maybe if we all wrote in to the programming team , somebody might listen to us ? Probably not, but worth a try.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

BBC has for many years broadcast 24/7, therefore there must be an audience out there somewhere, and yet ................................................................

Points of View also has a season when it goes off air.

Logic ????? !!!!!

Primrose, I'm liking those four suggestions.

The snag is that the bulk of the gardening programmes audience probably tune in to learn about flowers, we the vegetable grower are probably regarded as the insignificant minority.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

As has been said, help with planning the next year. A review of the seed catalogues and any trials that are publicly available. Work more sensibly with say the RHS than that silly woman did.
Barry
KG Regular

I agree that vegetable gardening seems to be the poor relative when it comes to air time.

This is bizarre, since vegetable seeds now outsell flower seeds, suggesting that we are gaining traction here!

The current season of Gardeners' World was so elitist at times that I wondered why they bothered; Beechgrove, in contrast, was full of interesting information on vegetables, which made it so much more interesting to watch.

How many of us these days have such huge gardens that half of what they put out on Gardeners' World is even relevant?

Oddly, Monty Don is clearly a keen vegetable gardener; pity he doesn't lobby to get more information on that area back on our screens.

Thank God the Scots are more practical!
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I can't say I really agree. I do the odd bit of garden / allotment work in winter months, but it wouldn't make very pretty TV and certainly wouldn't fill an hour programme per week. Not that I think the change to a 1 hour slot for GW was a good idea. Perhaps the odd "special" in winter covering winter pruning, etc might be OK ?

Barry wrote:The current season of Gardeners' World was so elitist at times that I wondered why they bothered; Beechgrove, in contrast, was full of interesting information on vegetables, which made it so much more interesting to watch.

How many of us these days have such huge gardens that half of what they put out on Gardeners' World is even relevant?

I watched the last GW of the season on catch up last night. Now, I am no raving leftie, but OMG did this make me angry. We saw one small garden refurbished, where the key problem was clearly that it was so small that the 6' fences needed for a bit of privacy meant much of it was in shade, including the tiny dank corner for the kids to play. Then we see the gardens of Lord and Lady Heseltine, which make many properties of the National Trust and English Heritage look modest. Perhaps the French had the correct approach to aristocracy. Do they feel no shame ?
Diane
KG Regular

I felt a bit sorry for those poor children having to play in a dark dismal corner.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Barry
KG Regular

Oh come on Diane, the Hestletines' garden wasn't THAT bad :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic