Forum (in)activity

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It would certainly be nice if some of of the professional gardeners from the KG magazine, could help out with some of the more difficult questions that are asked on the forum....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Goodness I feel like saying Welcome KGAdmin!

All of the above I'd say would be good. You probably noted we're not that endeared with the celeb advice & appreciate 'real' advice from 'real' growers, without the 2 acre garden & unlimited budgets! Exclusive forum offers, maybe but as you may have noted we do like a proper bargain! Definitely more forum promotion, not necessarily our posts but to offer these incentives would maybe entice new folk to post to get any offers? (That may take some monitoring though would have to set a minimum number of posts to qualify).

Like all what your saying but can I just ask you look at the topics? Add an animal one, (obviously not cats & dogs), get rid of some of the others & a better explanation of what to post where, especially to keep some topics open to anyone to really rant - might have to look at the Houses of Parliament for a good explanation to cover that though? :wink:

Cheers for getting engaged! You might of noted we couldn't come up with a solution on our own.

Westi
Westi
KGAdmin
Site Admin

oldherbaceous wrote:It would certainly be nice if some of of the professional gardeners from the KG magazine, could help out with some of the more difficult questions that are asked on the forum....

I think I can 99% promise they will!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Westi wrote:Goodness I feel like saying Welcome KGAdmin!

All of the above I'd say would be good. You probably noted we're not that endeared with the celeb advice & appreciate 'real' advice from 'real' growers, without the 2 acre garden & unlimited budgets! Exclusive forum offers, maybe but as you may have noted we do like a proper bargain! Definitely more forum promotion, not necessarily our posts but to offer these incentives would maybe entice new folk to post to get any offers? (That may take some monitoring though would have to set a minimum number of posts to qualify).

Like all what your saying but can I just ask you look at the topics? Add an animal one, (obviously not cats & dogs), get rid of some of the others & a better explanation of what to post where, especially to keep some topics open to anyone to really rant - might have to look at the Houses of Parliament for a good explanation to cover that though? :wink:

Cheers for getting engaged! You might of noted we couldn't come up with a solution on our own.

Westi

Ok everyone, here's a bit of fun, give me your top 5 existing topics, your bottom 5 and 5 ideas for new ones! Or as many as you can manage.

We are really keen that this isn't a corporate faceless forum - we want it to be a thriving fun community where you are in charge. If you want it built, and we can build it, we'll build it! Or something like that.

Forums might be old fashioned but they are so much nicer than facebook - we really want this to work, and for you all to be happy!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for that.....
Also can we have your name, as i would hat to just say, KGAdmin. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I'll have a think about my top 5. But to start things off I love talking about a certain veg at a time and having the opportunity to ask questions - I've learnt so much by doing this as everyone gives there own experiences. I also really enjoy seeing photos of progress, allotments, bugs etc..... Up cycling things for use in the allotment / garden is also good fun.

I would like to see the magazine do a 2 page spread, maybe interviewing/ featuring a few people from the forum. I won't name names but there are a few (lots) of people on here who would be brilliant! This would be a great way to promote the forum and share experiences.

Thanks for asking and taking ideas forward!

Pawty
KGAdmin
Site Admin

There is a new forum topic under 'Planting & seed Sowing' (which has now been renamed 'Planting & Growing') called "Ask the team'

http://forum.kitchengarden.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=25

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial staff, ask there. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice when i can pry them away from their typewriters!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

oldherbaceous wrote:Thank you for that.....
Also can we have your name, as i would hat to just say, KGAdmin. :)

Sometimes I might be other people, but this week I'm Darren. Hello!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Pawty wrote:Hi,

I'll have a think about my top 5. But to start things off I love talking about a certain veg at a time and having the opportunity to ask questions - I've learnt so much by doing this as everyone gives there own experiences. I also really enjoy seeing photos of progress, allotments, bugs etc..... Up cycling things for use in the allotment / garden is also good fun.

I would like to see the magazine do a 2 page spread, maybe interviewing/ featuring a few people from the forum. I won't name names but there are a few (lots) of people on here who would be brilliant! This would be a great way to promote the forum and share experiences.

Thanks for asking and taking ideas forward!

Pawty

Thanks Pawty, this has been passed onto the publishing/editorial team!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

KGAdmin wrote:Good afternoon everyone!

I don't think we would like to block non-subscribers as we are competing against Facebook and we would really like as many active users as possible.

I think I was the one who put that suggestion in a post most recently ( subscription being a subject I was informed had been discussed before, but over the years KG has been around it is likely most things have)

It was not put on the forum as a serious suggestion but I was trying to get people active and provoke reaction.

Voila

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Judging by the amount of response and debate (or can of worms) my original posting has generated, might there not be some mileage in an article of some sort in KG, based on this debate, to see whether a similar amount of reaction might be provoked from readers who are either not members of the forum, or who have joined but not yet posted?
To paraphrase lord Kitchener, "Your Forum Needs You".
Pa Snip
KG Regular

FredFromOssett wrote:Judging by the amount of response and debate (or can of worms) my original posting has generated, might there not be some mileage in an article of some sort in KG, based on this debate, to see whether a similar amount of reaction might be provoked from readers who are either not members of the forum, or who have joined but not yet posted?
To paraphrase lord Kitchener, "Your Forum Needs You".

Would those worms be the ones around the top of darlek compost bins.

Good job done as far as I can see so far Fred, a lot of what has been said on your original thread and the poll thread needed saying and it is good to see KGadmin being actively involved over last couple of days. May that long continue from now on.

Well done Fred

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Would those worms be the ones around the top of darlek compost bins.

Well, the can seems to have grown to the size of a compost bin :oops:
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Everyone

I've read your thread with interest and have to agree that I have rather neglected you all of late, not I hasten to add with any motive in mind, but only because the editorial team and myself have been occupied with other things such as the digital version of KG.

I have taken your comments on board and had a good chat with deputy editor Emma (AKA Lady Lettuce) and made some plans that we hope will give the forum the prominence it deserves and needs.

As several of you have suggested I will be making sure there are more plugs for the forum in the magazine and also on Facebook and Twitter in the hope that we can encourage more readers to give it a try and to join in. I'd also like to open up a page in the mag each month for you all to have your say, so I propose to use the Last Word page in the mag to highlight a thread each month that the team and I think will be of particular interest to readers of the magazine. Of course we'll also include a big message encouraging them to pay the forum a visit to find out more.

We'll try this for a while and monitor how it goes and what they (and you) feel about it, so any feedback very gratefully received. We will also keep thinking to see what other improvements we may be able to make in the near future to encourage newcomers in.

In the meantime thank you very much for your feedback, which is very valuable to me and much appreciated and thanks also for sticking with us and keeping the forum a friendly, informative and fun place to be.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Nice one Captain. Music to our ears.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic