A Poll Re the (in)activity thread

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Do you or Don't you Subscribe

I subscribe to Kitchen Garden Magazine
37%
I buy the magazine on a 'ad hoc' basis from retail outlet
17%
I share a copy of the magazine with others
10%
I would not take out a subscription in order to use the forums
30%
I would take out a subscription to Kitchen Garden Magazine to use the forums
7%

Total votes: 30
KGAdmin
Site Admin

OscarSidcup wrote:West - this is a fab idea to get an opportunity to like a post.

My partner keeps on saying he really likes the way everybody on this forum is so nice and helpful. Being able to click a small 'thumbs up' would be top!

KG - are you reading these - pretty please?

Yes!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

OscarSidcup wrote:
can we use the on line magazine as part of our subscription or do we have to pay for that separately?

There is online and online...

From what I can gather, if you are a subscriber you can access more content on the KG website - but i have to say i find this new website not very appealing. So am completely unsure what extra content I can access with my subscription...

But if you subscribe to the paper edition, you can not (for the same price) also access the digital edition - you need to pay extra for that.

Which I think is a short sighted decision by the publisher as they would gain much more by embedding everything together paper/online/forums/digital to create an ecosystem that feeds on itself.

If you are a print or digital subscriber, you get the 'Subs Club' content on the website which is locked out for non-subscribers. Subs Club content is denoted by a red bar on the home page:

The tablet digital issue has extra recipes and videos and is avaiable at a reduced rate if you are a print subscriber.
Primrose
KG Regular

Amongst all rhe common sense tips i would also like to see a little bit of quirkiness enter into the proceedings occasionally. Every so often we read about somebody having an unusual idea about a way of growing something and occasionally this can lead to a more successful way of growing a difficult species of vegetable so we should be open to new ideas.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Also remember some of us are highly qualified, although old, still have the knowledge to pass on. But do you want to learn or do you wish to fool about?
Make your choice before it is too late.
JB.

Can I just point out that being highly qualified does not mean you have to lose your sense of humour. Yes JB you have knowledge to pass on and people are grateful of it. However some of us need humour in our life, for whatever reason.
For one person at least you probably could not have picked a worse time to have a pop about humour. we are not a bunch of unruly agricultural students that you are trying to teach your 'expertise'. Most are just fellow adults who are here to enjoy their hobby in a light hearted fashion..

I have a policy in life, If I can't make someone smile at least make them groan.

If anybody on here does not like my style of comments / replies please feel free to skip over my posts.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Sorry if I did not make my thoughts clear about the poll.

The 'ad hoc' purchase from retailer option was meant to include any non subscription purchases, whether once a month or once a year.

Was trying not to have too many options just to keep it as a straw poll and hopefully provoke reaction from some new names as well as the regular posters.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

It's cool Pa!

KG are back on board thanks to you (& others)! Who'd have thought this poll was the one to make them take note! Well done we may be on the way to recovery!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Westi

I really cannot take plaudits when it was FredfromOssett whose thread gave me the push for a poll that I had been thinking of doing.

There has obviously been some thought put into things by KG and I dare say some of those things may well have been in progress before this all kicked off.
Whatever, the important thing now is that the steps have been, or are in process of being, taken>

I shall renew the subscription with confidence

dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:If anybody on here does not like my style of comments / replies please feel free to skip over my posts.

Pa, I personally enjoy the humour you bring to the board :) I think a joke every now and then helps keep us young at heart.

Although, I will be the first to admit that I dont always know when its approprite to joke and not. In general the worse I'm feeling the more likely I am to make a joke where its not wanted, because I want to make people smile...
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:Pa, I personally enjoy the humour you bring to the board :) I think a joke every now and then helps keep us young at heart.

Although, I will be the first to admit that I dont always know when its approprite to joke and not. In general the worse I'm feeling the more likely I am to make a joke where its not wanted, because I want to make people smile...

I think we can all manage to make a joke that is either inappropriate in itself, or make it at an inappropriate time. We just have to hope that these are taken in the spirit in which they were, undoubtedly, meant; and beg forgiveness of those who don't see the funny side. But in the meantime - Ke-e-e-e-ep joking (and posting) :)
Pawty
KG Regular

FredFromOssett wrote:
dan3008 wrote:Pa, I personally enjoy the humour you bring to the board :) I think a joke every now and then helps keep us young at heart.

I think we can all manage to make a joke that is either inappropriate in itself, or make it at an inappropriate time. We just have to hope that these are taken in the spirit in which they were, undoubtedly, meant; and beg forgiveness of those who don't see the funny side. But in the meantime - Ke-e-e-e-ep joking (and posting) :)

Ok, so I thought hard about writing this.... No details. But this year (for me) hasn't been the best and has quite frankly been hard as it has for many people here. What I will say is going to the allotment helps me to switch off and relax. I'm not great at gardening but I love listening to the advice given on this forum and the banter! Please don't change or stop - I (think) I'm one of the young uns here and really do appreciate all the support given.... Please don't stop as I have lots of silly questions.....

Pawty

I love the banter - we're all fro. Different times and different parts of the word.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Pa,
I like a joke as well as most of us but there is a time and a place for everything and in the middle of a thread dealing with two new people is neither the place or the time and if you were experienced enough to deal with subjects you would not have been as
inappropriate as you were. Did you answer their questions? No. Did you take the p--s out of me? Yes! That was a mistake I hope never to be repeated. I don't mind you taking the mickey and you should know what is the appropriate time. Even PM me if you feel the need.
We should all welcome new people to the forum and answer their questions if possibe without denigrating the member trying to help them. The two people have never come back to the forum. Now wasn't that clever! It must be a kid-glove approach.
I am sure the magazine will want to help as much as can be but it will not be immediate.
You were not a contributor to the forum when Allan Day and myself used to have some real head-on disagreements as to the way things should or couild be done and I'm sorry to tell you all it was a stunt to keep the forum vibrant because Allan and myself were great friends.
What it taught everybody was that you had to think for yourself and there was more than two ways of doing the same job. Just about everybody logged on to read the next spat. At that time the forum was begining to go down hill and then the postings increased so our spats vere not in vain. And then quite unexpectedly my dear friend Allan died and really the forum has been in decline ever since. I even raised plants in my tunnels for him the year he died because he was unwell. We were two professional growers who cared very much about this forum. I still care quite passionately about this forum and would do anything to see it vibrant once more.
JB.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Pa,
the middle of a thread dealing with two new people is neither the place or the time and if you were experienced enough to deal with subjects you would not have been as
inappropriate as you were. Did you answer their questions? No. Did you take the p--s out of me? Yes! That was a mistake I hope never to be repeated. quote]

I have absolutely no idea what thread or alleged incident you are talking about, or even what two members.
But you seem to have appointed yourself as judge and jury.

It obviously must have been recent for you to have only just raised it so can you please provide me with evidence of what I am alleged to have done.

To the best of my knowledge I have never taken the P out of you intentionally,
1) frankly I do not know you well enough to do so.
2) I couldn't be bothered to do so

As to the rest of your latest post about your sense of humour with someone who is sadly no longer with us I cannot see any relevance to what you accuse me of other than you perhaps trying to teach us how expert you are in dealing with newcomers to the board.

I could say more but really do not think it worth it because obviously it would only cause you greater offence and is not conducive to the forums

However, you have chosen to show your 'experience' by washing dirty linen in public and I do look forward to receiving the evidence of the misdemeanour which has offended you so much.

In the meantime I apologise to other members for the, unintended on my part, diversion to this thread.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Ok, so I thought hard about writing this.... No details. But this year (for me) hasn't been the best and has quite frankly been hard as it has for many people here. What I will say is going to the allotment helps me to switch off and relax. I'm not great at gardening but I love listening to the advice given on this forum and the banter! Please don't change or stop - I (think) I'm one of the young uns here and really do appreciate all the support given.... Please don't stop as I have lots of silly questions.....

Pawty

I love the banter - we're all fro. Different times and different parts of the word.

Sorry to hear about your bad year Pawty.
Don't stop asking what you think may be silly questions. If potential newcomers see some of us 'older-comers' asking them, they may be tempted to ask their own - or even offer an answer. It has been said before that there are as many ways of doing /growing things as there are gardeners. We can all learn from someone else's way of doing a job; it can turn on the light bulb that makes you say "Of course, why didn't I think of that?".
If I can think that far back, I believe my first entry to the forum was to ask what I thought was a silly question. After the first posting things get marginally easier, until you find it possible to jump in with both feet and risk being shot down in flames.
Primrose
KG Regular

Few people are experts at growing everything so there is no such thing in my view as asking a silly question.

I've been growing vegetables for years, but for example, because of shortage of growing space, have never grown potatoes (apart from one year of producing an utterly dismal dismal crop of them in a growing sack or volunteers in my compost heap! ) so I always have plenty to learn from discussions on that topic. And being an expert doesn't mean you will produce excellent crops if the weather or soil composition is against you so learners and newcomers can hopefully take heart from that.

One thing I like about Monty Don on Gardeners World is the disarming way he flags up his vegetable failures to share with the rest of us. Newcomers to vegetable growing should take heart from that. It certainly makes me feel better about my failures!
Westi
KG Regular

Can I say this is the appropriate forum to take the gloves off - as agreed (kind of)! General Chat is indeed that, but let's keep it civil! To date everyone is doing that, but is it not time to move on?

We have new interest from others, engagement from the KG team, & we have two forum members who have so much knowledge and ideas to share! I won't say bury the hatchet as kinda know where that might lead, but I will say clean slate - apologise in a pm or keep it there!

We have engagement, we can get new forum members, we can give & receive advice, & post away to get answers to our queries & other new people will post if they don't see negativity! We asked for this saving of the forum, don't let us down guys! We all want more activity, & I know you both smart from the post of past but it's now the future!

Sorry if I disappoint saying that but it's about saving the forum - the thing that linked us from the start. About what I said KGAdmin - can you delete past posts & start afresh??

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic