lawn advice

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

daviecyldebank
KG Regular

hi I moved into a new house about 3 months ago and when i moved in the grass was un cut and almost a meter high i cut it and then found there were alot of weeds , moss and not very healthy grass . I have tried to rake out the moss and re seed the grass in the areas that are patchy but looking for more advice to improve it i have a dog so looking for pet friendly solutions
Westi
KG Regular

I've given up on the grass as have a female dog that manages to kill every bit of lawn she pees on - she's a big dog btw!
I've tried the 'rocks' but no discernible difference! I'm thinking if you have a male dog though all is not lost! Welcome to the forum! The only thing I can add is - is there rubble under your soil? You will get more answers - be patient!

Westi
Westi
John
KG Regular

Hello DCB
There is no quick fix for this unless you want to weed kill the lawn and turf or seed it - no very practical if you have a dog though. The simplest thing to do would be to keep the grass well mown and let nature take it course. The coarser grasses and weeds will die out over time with frequent mowing. Problem weeds can be carefully dug out.
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
daviecyldebank
KG Regular

i have a female border collie , i will just have to keep trying to reseed and might try the digging out weeds thank you for for the advice
Colin2016
KG Regular

If it is just patches you want to repair then this tip from Monty Don may help.

Grow grass in small pots in greenhouse/shed, and then transplant them into your lawn.

I have been doing this on a small scale for when I pull up the bigger weeds and see no reason why this will not work on larger areas that dogs discolour.
daviecyldebank
KG Regular

colin i was thinking of that as another problem i have had is when i reseed the lawn the pigeons eat alot of the seeds
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Davey,

I've read somewhere if you put a dash of vinegar in the dogs water that can also neutralise the urine, but my dog can smell it and would rather drink out of a dirty drain. If we could sort that problem we maybe could have a lawn.

Colin - never thought of that, but I do put dug up grass into gaps & that does better than seeds.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic