Lancaster Bomber!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

A Lancaster bomber flew right over us on the allotment today at noon, I understand on its way to Lincoln as a flypast for the start of work on an International Bomber Command Centre.
Primrose
KG Regular

Always a stirring mment to see these old planes and remember what they and their pilots went through during the war.
As a very small child I recall I recall them going overhead on dark nights. My father, who was in a reserved occupation, always seemed to know from the engine sounds, which were ours, and which were theirs.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Its based at RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
JohnN
KG Regular

Nice memories, Primrose. About 1943 I remember my Dad, who was a poultry farmer, calling us out of the house one summers eve to look up at the sky, which was black with aircraft, all heading south-east. The next morning the newspapers heralded the first 1000 bomber raid!
I think the different engine sounds of British and German aircraft was due to their engines being mostly radials, while ours were Rolls Royce in-lines.
Stephen
KG Regular

I am saving up for a small treat. At the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre there is a Lanc which has been painstakingly restored. It is licenced to taxi but not (yet) to fly. One can buy (as part of a group) a run along the runway. I'm going to do this next July. :-)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

As somebody who doesn't enjoy flying, the thought of sitting in a plane, especially a historic Lancaster and taxiing along the runway knowing you will never be allowed take off sounds the perfect experience to me :lol:
Clive.
KG Regular

I have found some video of the Oct 3 flight here; https://twitter.com/RAFBBMF and
https://twitter.com/Seb_Lanc99

Clive.
Monika
KG Regular

Fascinating, Clive! If the video had started a bit earlier, you might have seen us on the allotment because it flew directly over us.
Do you know whether it also flew on the evening of the same day, 3 October, because a plane crossed our village in the dark about 7pm, sounding just like the Lancaster at noon, this time flying W to E?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Monika,
The Lancaster, PA474, does show up on https://www.flightradar24.com as do most other BBMF aircraft, although it may not show in all locations and when at low level. It would not have been out in the dark.
It is possible to do a playback of the radar but do allow that it is on GMT.

The other day, when you saw it, the track only showed once it was past Matlock way routing back our direction.

This morning I was working on the main drive at work when in the distance I heard the Lancaster...it routed North of us out to the coast, passing Mumby, E. Lincs, I had a call from a friend who sighted it over there.

Then we heard it returning and it passed directly over us at Gunby at 9:17am routing back towards Coningsby...made my day. :) As my colleagues may vouch for....at the number of times I recounted the sighting. :oops:

From what I have just read on other fora I see it was out and about later in the morning maybe up N. Lincs and up to Hull area too.?

..update, I have just read that it flew to Duxford later in the day where it will be subject of major overhaul.

Clive.
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you for the quick reply, Clive - I knew you would know the answers!
Monika
KG Regular

Just read in our village magazine that the very low flying plane I heard in the evening of 3 October and thought that it was the Avro Lancaster again, was in fact a Hercules. So that is sorted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic