Beetroot maturing

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Is anyone else having a problem with their beetroot (Boltardy) maturing properly? The foliage looks fine and using Enviromesh I seem to have dodged leaf miner, but the actual roots are very small, no bigger than golf ball size, instead of the usual tennis ball. There's time yet, I suppose, but this very dry weather hasn't helped. Should one water them or let them dig for it?!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Ground is so dry here any damp soil is way way below beetroot root depth so I am watering regularly
You are looking for a nice bulbous round beetroot with Boltardy, not ones with long roots that are too thin to be edible.

Water regularly, give the beet a good soak once, then just enough to keep ground moist but not soaking wet

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes beetroot need watering. They don't like it dry. Mine in the greenhouse are swelling nicely. Most of the outdoor sowing have vanished.
Westi
KG Regular

Ditto - give them a water, you'll note when you pull them there is one deep root but lots of fine hair roots. Don't let the plant waste energy putting that deep root down to the water instead of bulking up. I take mine quite small, smaller than tennis ball to roast in foil with balsamic & herbs, but do let some get bigger to pickle as well.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

My beetroot are still quite small, but I don't mind as they'll mature at some point and often find they give me a good Autumn crop. I also sowed an additional row quite late. I keep my watered.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I'm going to put in a late sowing this week, that will be 4 different ones. I have one I am harvesting, one up & just starting to swell, one just leaves to date with no swelling yet, so one more could see me through if the weather is kind.

Fingers crossed!
Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi have you tried planting more than one maybe a row at a time :lol: :mrgreen:
Westi
KG Regular

Good one! Finally the problem is solved! :lol:

Westi
Westi
JohnN
KG Regular

And another thing… several of my beetroots are "albino", some totally white, others white with a red skin. Cause? OK to eat??
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening John, if they were the free Boltardy seeds from KG, i have had the same thing......i did pull the white ones out at an early stage, as i think they look rather insipid when cooked, but the other mix i left and they were fine.....so a mixture of seed, packed as Boltady, i think.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

I've planted a rainbow mix of beetroot seeds before. Husband loved the white ones. They were very sweet, but equally could have been a different variety.... I now specifically plant some white ones (sorry, I don't remember the variety).

Pawty
JohnN
KG Regular

Mine are Johnsons Boltardy, purchased from the Crawley gardening society.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic