Pea pod problem

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

Hi there,

Does anybody have any ideas what this is on my pea pods? It looks like some sort of pollen, but I don't think it is. It doesn't rub off, and there does not appear to be anything wrong with the leaves or vines.

I'm growning these in a polytunnel.

Could it just be heat?
Attachments
IMG_6828.JPG
IMG_6828.JPG (111.01 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
John
KG Regular

Hello MrC
This could simply be scorching caused by high temperatures in your tunnel.
Peas prefer cool growing conditions from now on temperatures can rises rapidly under plastic or glass unless you are careful with your ventilation.
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Yes, that is what I suspect. Googling does not seem to bring up anything that looks like this. I looked again today, and there are a few leaves on some of the plants with patchy marks, but google does bring anything up that looks like this as a problem. The closest looks like the mozaic virus, but that seems to be more spotty yellower leaves. Also the plants are not "stunted".

Maybe I'll give them a feed. This ground was not cultivated last year as was basically unkempt ground.

However, thompsons & morgans website for 'Kelvedon Wonder' have leaves with these patterns anyway http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/pea-and-bean-seeds/pea-kelvedon-wonder/107TM
Attachments
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
John
KG Regular

Hello again MrC
The leaves are quite normal. This is a natural marking that develops of pea leaves as they get older bit like the silvery markings on courgette leaves. It is the pods that may have been scorched. There is not a lot to worry about really. It is the way of peas and beans to carry on growing and flowering until they have set enough pods - no problem if they lose a few early ones. Try to keep them cool and also moist at the roots
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic