Favourite books?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi, what's the best book you've read any why.??

I'm going camping in Alaska for three weeks, and given how much sun time there is, something tells me I'm going to have some reading time on my hands.

To be honest, I'll read any fiction, thriller, romance. Not a fan of autobiography's. There's very few books I haven't finished (tinker tailor, soldier spy is one of the few - also fell asleep in the film).

I'm a huge fan of John Irvine - world according to Garp is a favourite, loved Stieg Larsons series, and a am a fan of books like to kill a mockingbird.

But I'm open to new ideas. I prefer to read paperback, although given limited bag space may have to use kindle on the I pad.

So, what's your favourite book or a who is your favourite author?
dan3008
KG Regular

Harry potter :D
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
robo
KG Regular

Fly tying by j r Hartley
snooky
KG Regular

Bernard Cornwall-except the Sharpe series.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
dan3008
KG Regular

In seriousness, if you like magic fantasies, the inheritance series (Eragon) or anything by maria v Snyder
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Oakridge
KG Regular

Aubrey and Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian
London by Edward Rutherfurd - quite a hefty tome.
I really do like the great classics - Jane Austin, Dickens, H. G. Wells especially 'The History of Mr. Polly'.
Don't get me started I could go on and on. I have been collecting books in machine readable form for 20 years and have some thousands. I am busy making an organised database which keeps me busy in the long winter evenings.
Geoff
KG Regular

If you want something serious that sounds interesting. I read an obituary recently of Henry Hobhouse who wrote a book called "Seeds of Change". I haven't read it but it sounds good.

"Traces the history of five commercial plants - sugar, tea, cotton, potatoes and quinine - and seeks to illustrate how man's need, or greed, for these products has shaped human development. This edition includes a chapter on the coca plant, demonstrating its social, political and economic effect."
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My favourite book is one of the Ladybird books, "My body".... :) ....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:My favourite book is one of the Ladybird books, "My body".... :) ....

:lol: :lol:

And here's his body.

oh.jpg
oh.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 4420 times

Or, if you wish, in German.

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

I never read fiction (I know, I am a sad git), so the book which held my interest non-stop recently was "The Railways - Nation, Network and People" by Simon Bradley. It was published last year, the reviews promised much and I was not disappointed.
John
KG Regular

OH's book is certainly a very good read. He even reveals his real name at the end - sorry no spoliers here.
Another excellent read for us gardeners is 'Digging for Victory Wartime Gardening with Mr Middleton'. Its full of garden wisdom and I love all his old remedies such as calomel, soot, tar-oil wash even arsenate of lead - enough to give our organic brothers and sisters a serious headache.

John
Last edited by John on Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
JohnN
KG Regular

Hi Pawty
If you want to take just one book which will take ages to read, try Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. 1017 pages of very small print - after 2 weeks I've done about a third of it. It's basically a philosophical treatise, but quite a good fictional yarn with a female "heroine" who runs a railroad and drives a freight train at 100mph!
retropants
KG Regular

I would not recommend Wuthering Heights. terrible, hateful characters with no redeeming features whatsoever! The Rebus books are great, although its been years since I read one.
Pawty
KG Regular

[quote="Geoff"]If you want something serious that sounds interesting. I read an obituary recently of Henry Hobhouse who wrote a book called "Seeds of Change". I haven't read it but it sounds good.

thanks. I actually have copy of this which I forgot about. I read the first chapter and will pick it up again, but maybe not a holiday book ... Needs a bit more of my attention. Is suppose to be excellent.

Thanks for recommendations ... I will have a look through.

Dan, I'm afraid I'm not a witches and goblin person. Husband though, absolutely loves Tolkien, Pratchett and yes Harry Potter (not to be confused with Dennis Potter which I originally typed... Well, I am from the Forest of Dean).

Pawty
Geoff
KG Regular

There is a good non-discworld Pratchett called "Good Omens" that is fun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic