Unripe shop bought pears

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

Where do Lidl buy their pears?

Pears, as most of you know, are generally picked and sold slightly under ripe, but then ripen, usually when our backs are turned, so that when we return, they are over ripe. But when you catch them just right, they are delicious.

So what is Lidl doing to its pears? I bought some Conference pears from them about two weeks ago and none of the four has ripened one jot. Surely that means they were picked too early. I am assuming that suppliers must know the right point to pick them, so wouldn't supply Lidl with deliberately under ripe pears just because they are cheap, would they?

In fact, while I like Lidl prices, their fruit is tasteless and usually inedible or underripe. So we are not going to buy any more from there in future.

Similarly, their meat, while cheap, is invariably tasteless.

In both cases, there have been exceptions, but few and far between

I also like Pink Lady apples. But half the time I buy them, they look great, but under the skins they are totally unripe and the eating experience is sub-optimal, to say the least.

I have to be careful what money I spend, but with fruit, I have found it is much better to pay extra (at Waitrose and M&S) and get something it is actually a pleasure to eat.

Would you agree?
robo
KG Regular

I bought a large bag of Apple's from aldi around a month ago I can honestly say they were the worst Apple's I've had the misfortune to eat I binned the last few ,even the chickens turned there beaks up at them
Pa Snip
KG Regular

When chickens don't want them you know they are eggstraordinarily bad

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:When chickens don't want them you know they are eggstraordinarily bad

and that's no yolk.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

:lol: Peter

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

That's unfortunate Barry.

I bought some pears from Lidl the week before last & they ripened beautifully & were very tasty, I have some nice Braeburn in the fruit bowl, juicy & with just a dot of tartness that I like. Their standard meat I agree, is pretty average but their deluxe range never fails for flavour. We scooped a reduced Guard of Honour which we had on the weekend and the lamb was so sweet & tender.

However I find their single oranges are always dry so don't buy them, their spring onions always go slimey as do their mushrooms unless you tip them out of their plastic containers and wipe it out before resealing them in cling as there is always water in the bottom. But I suppose you get what you pay for, but have had some dodgy fruit from Waitrose & M & S as well! Fortunately the new Aldi just a couple of blocks from Lidl is progressing nicely & due to open next month so not even far to go to check out the opposition.

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

I have bought Lidl's pears with no complaints, however I now buy Waitrose's bag of so called blemished pears and to be honest I can't tell the difference between them and their perfect pears.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic