Now it is Spring Time (Confirmed)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

Weeding is what I have mostly been doing. Lots of willowherb removed, a lot of grass too.
Ground dug ready for the potatoes, manure ready. A job for Sunday.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I spent most of the morning trying to get rid of cleavers, robin-run-the hedge, sticky willy, call it what you will, it's a real nuisance. I thought that last year I had got it beaten before it seeded itself all through our rose hedge but no, there are whole mats of it coming up again. another battle this year.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I heard cookoo two days ago and saw my first swallow this morning, the alloying of better weather and the swallow always lifts me. This time I'm panicking, I purposely didn't sow anything until four days ago other than my garlic that's been in for two weeks. The reason is I'm sure I'm always to early for our conditions and my lack of polythene cover.

I'm going for it now though, thank you mr swallow.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
alan refail
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:I'm going for it now though, thank you mr swallow.

Un wennol ni wna wanwyn
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:I heard cookoo two days ago and saw my first swallow this morning, the alloying of better weather and the swallow always lifts me. This time I'm panicking, I purposely didn't sow anything until four days ago other than my garlic that's been in for two weeks. The reason is I'm sure I'm always to early for our conditions and my lack of polythene cover.

I'm going for it now though, thank you mr swallow.

It is many many moons since I heard a cuckoo. Also we do not see jackdaws any more.
Geoff
KG Regular

must be true - Swallow and Rhubarb today - not a tasty combination I assure you.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ahhh-yes, I also have some lovely pink rhubarb that is ready now.

That cookoo and swallow did the trick, I've been beavering away all morning and even though my back is sore I'm enthused enough to keep going for another two hours.

I just saw a flock of tiny birds that flew like swallows but too small for swallows that had the strength to make that amazing journey. Any ideas ? Not many small birds flock and they weren't sparrows.

Carrots are in, two types with coriander in between. Soon be time for a cold beer.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
alan refail
KG Regular

What's the sign that spring has truly arrived?
It's the sudden, almost overnight appearance of dant y llew, piss-a-bed, Taraxacum officinale, the dandelion!
It might be a damned nuisance, but is surely one of the most beautiful of flowers.

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
retropants
KG Regular

I've had big fat bumblers in my garden for weeks now. I have a winter flowering Hebe, and they love that.

My brassicas and leeks are up in the seed bed, so things are looking promising!
Westi
KG Regular

Definitely must be Spring! Well Mr Westi has 'Spring Fever'!

He's been down to lottie & put 3 coats of creosote on the shed & put up the guttering & I've only been asking for 12 years! Note 'asking' not 'nagging'. Nagging would have added another 10 yrs! :D

Westi
Westi
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Planted the last of the Cara potatoes today.
Just 4 short rows of Cara, 2 short rows of Charlotte, plus 3 tubs, and 13 tubs of Rocket. That's all I have room for now :(

Broad beans are about ready to go out, along with the chard.

Assisted my neighbour replacing the roof on one of my sheds on Tuesday. It wouldn't have lasted much longer!
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Definitely must be Spring'. Nagging would have added another 10 yrs! :D

Westi

(Smile)
I need to clean the fridges out, my instruction has been on the chalk-board for a month, but no nagging. It's raining, I'll do them today.

Plenty other jobs got done whilst the fridges were waiting.
Richard.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Definitely must be Spring! Well Mr Westi has 'Spring Fever'!

He's been down to lottie & put 3 coats of creosote on the shed & put up the guttering & I've only been asking for 12 years! Note 'asking' not 'nagging'. Nagging would have added another 10 yrs! :D

Westi

Come Come Westi. These sort of jobs just cannot be rushed.
robo
KG Regular

I always let each coat of creosote dry thoroughly before I apply the next one I find 4 years about right
Shallot Man
KG Regular

robo. I would :wink: have thought nearer ten was better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic