High Rise Worms

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Every time I open my half full 'dalek' compost bin, there are loads of worms sitting around just under the lid.

What are they doing up there, and who helps them get up there :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Monika
KG Regular

PJ, I have always understood that if worms crawl to the top of the bin, they are trying to escape because the conditions in the bin are not quite right - too wet or too dry. I always give the contents a good stir with one of those screw-like stirrers to see which it is (usually too wet), then introduce some torn-up cardboard or newspaper, sprinkle on some Garotta or lime, push the worms back in again, stir it up and hope for the best.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Monika,

Thanks for that :)

I'll sort that out tomorrow. I suspect it's too wet.
Cheers PJ.

Motherwoman
KG Regular

They don't seem to like too many citrus peel bits either. I've tried to not put those in my peely bin in the kitchen but the other half forgets. But a layer of paper and cardboard seems to get them back down.
Johnboy
KG Regular

The modern compost bins have a habit of being too dry and althought I cover my compost with black polythene every now and then I put the hose over the whole area and replace the polythene I would consider that the worms are fairly well distributed within my bins. Most of my bins are made of wood and are placed on expanded metal lathe to allow the worms in and keep the moles out also we have a snake problem. The moles are just at present are a b----y nuisance with mole hills all over the plot including my lawn. I have laid traps but so far only caught one. Just one mole in a compost bin and it will eat the entire lot of worms.
JB.
Pawty
KG Regular

I've been moving things around in the back garden - I can't believe how many worms there are under everything at the moment! Trouble is my cats keep bringing them in as presents - when they drop them the worms make a bee line for dark spaces, so every time I lift up a rug - guess what I find!
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:I've been moving things around in the back garden - I can't believe how many worms there are under everything at the moment! Trouble is my cats keep bringing them in as presents - when they drop them the worms make a bee line for dark spaces, so every time I lift up a rug - guess what I find!

My neighbours cats keep leaving me presents in the garden.

Not the sort you want under the rug though :lol:
Cheers PJ.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic