New Website - What do you think?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

7oaks
KG Regular

KGAdmin wrote:
7oaks wrote:I like the look of the website, however I have two issues with it:
1. I cannot find any link to a "Contact Us" facility, which I wanted to report the following issue:
2. I have tried to create an account using the Zeddit system which requires email address, password (no clues as to what the site needs to create a valid password), customer ID (emails from KG do not quote an ID, so used the number from the bank standing order as I do not have an old magazine envelope) and surname. The Create My Account button remains grey but clicking on it has no effect, nothing happens not even an error message.

What am I doing wrongly? As you can see I have managed to register for the forums.

Thanks for the info. We are looking into this. Your customer ID is a six digit number which will be printed on your magazine address label. If you can't find it, email your surname and postcode to digitaldept [at] mortons.co.uk and we will send it to you.

OK, so I now have my latest magazine and used the six digit number on the label 4****3 and tried to both log in and also to register. The log in does not work for me as I doubt that an account has been created with a password as yet so I get an error message saying either the address or the password is incorrect. I have tried to create an account using the Zeddit system but that seems to require a password as well as name, email and customer ID number and a password (if I leave it blank it insists on a password being entered. Still the Create My Account button remains grey and clicking on it has no effect at all.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi, only just managed to log on as I needed to request my id - which when requested was emailed to me really quickly - great service, thank you.

Although, it wasn't obvious I was actually logged in at first - checked by opening an article then realised there was a person/symbol in the right corner. Doesn't seem to be a sign in/option unless you go into settings, or a hello 'pawty' (maybe because I'm on an I-pad).

Anyway, I think the website looks great, lovely pictures, really inspiring. Love the recipes. Only thing I couldn't open was the 'this weeks favourite post from the forum' - which hasn't been updated since the new launch so isn't updated weekly.

Could also have some readers photos?? Less limits on numbers than the printed version?? Maybe a theme each month (veg, shed, creature .....)and you get to choose the top ten (kg calander opportunity for subscribers here!!)

Pawty
KGAdmin
Site Admin

7oaks wrote:
KGAdmin wrote:
7oaks wrote:I like the look of the website, however I have two issues with it:
1. I cannot find any link to a "Contact Us" facility, which I wanted to report the following issue:
2. I have tried to create an account using the Zeddit system which requires email address, password (no clues as to what the site needs to create a valid password), customer ID (emails from KG do not quote an ID, so used the number from the bank standing order as I do not have an old magazine envelope) and surname. The Create My Account button remains grey but clicking on it has no effect, nothing happens not even an error message.

What am I doing wrongly? As you can see I have managed to register for the forums.

Thanks for the info. We are looking into this. Your customer ID is a six digit number which will be printed on your magazine address label. If you can't find it, email your surname and postcode to digitaldept [at] mortons.co.uk and we will send it to you.

OK, so I now have my latest magazine and used the six digit number on the label 4****3 and tried to both log in and also to register. The log in does not work for me as I doubt that an account has been created with a password as yet so I get an error message saying either the address or the password is incorrect. I have tried to create an account using the Zeddit system but that seems to require a password as well as name, email and customer ID number and a password (if I leave it blank it insists on a password being entered. Still the Create My Account button remains grey and clicking on it has no effect at all.

7oaks - can you email me with your postcode and customer ID - [email protected] - I'll get it sorted for you!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Pawty wrote:Hi, only just managed to log on as I needed to request my id - which when requested was emailed to me really quickly - great service, thank you.

Although, it wasn't obvious I was actually logged in at first - checked by opening an article then realised there was a person/symbol in the right corner. Doesn't seem to be a sign in/option unless you go into settings, or a hello 'pawty' (maybe because I'm on an I-pad).

Anyway, I think the website looks great, lovely pictures, really inspiring. Love the recipes. Only thing I couldn't open was the 'this weeks favourite post from the forum' - which hasn't been updated since the new launch so isn't updated weekly.

Could also have some readers photos?? Less limits on numbers than the printed version?? Maybe a theme each month (veg, shed, creature .....)and you get to choose the top ten (kg calander opportunity for subscribers here!!)

Pawty

Party - great idea with the reader photos - we'll have a look at that. And we'll add a from the forum post asap!
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Pawty wrote:Hi, only just managed to log on as I needed to request my id - which when requested was emailed to me really quickly - great service, thank you.

Pawty

OK Pawty, here's our favourite forum post this week: http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/From-the ... eds-1ce29x

I'll make sure this is now done weekly! Thanks :-)
peter
KG Regular

Any chance of shrinking the top and bottom triple buttons?
Also one keeps turning into Ad choices.
Attachments
buttonodd.jpg
buttonodd.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
buttons3.jpg
buttons3.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
KGAdmin
Site Admin

peter wrote:Any chance of shrinking the top and bottom triple buttons?
Also one keeps turning into Ad choices.

We will have a look at the button sizes. The ad choices problem should be fixed.
Pawty
KG Regular

Ok KGAdmin - we appear to have your attention, so, a few questions for you........(I have a day off work to plant potatoes but it's raining so I thought I'd use my time constructively).....

As pa snip has pointed out, whilst there's >3000 members of the forum only a handful actually speak up. What can you do to help this?

I was bought the magazine subscription as a present a few years ago - I suspect this is the case for many. I then subscribed because I like the magazine and free seeds. Although, with direct debit (which I forgot to cancel) you, as a subscriber, don't get the free gift that 'new' subscribers get - hence I try to remember to cancel, and set up a new one. Maybe there should be a similar gift to stay???

Anyway, I stumbled across the forum when I was looking for the answer to a question. I wasn't overly aware of it because of the magazine. So, how many subscribers do you have? I suspect it's many thousands? Why are they not part of the forum? I think it because subscribers don't know how to access the on line mag (or understand the benefits of it) and they don't really get/know about the forum?

It's great that you have a small section each month and that the forum features on the on line pages, but, maybe you can do more to help promote it in the magazine?? How about, rather than have 20 pages of adverts on glasshouses (sorry, but it has in recent months turned into a bit of an Argos catalogue) you run a double page interview with some key members over lunch at the lotty ( bring together pa snip, westi, primrose, plum pudding, Peter , John....... ) and discuss the benefits of the forum?? And give clear details on how to join...

Get monti involved - I'd love to see Nigel carrying around a copy! I'm sure he'd be up for helping tackle some of the issue s raised!

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Pawty
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pawty. I go along with your last missive.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Anyway, I stumbled across the forum when I was looking for the answer to a question. I wasn't overly aware of it because of the magazine. So, how many subscribers do you have? I suspect it's many thousands? Why are they not part of the forum? I think it because subscribers don't know how to access the on line mag (or understand the benefits of it) and they don't really get/know about the forum?

It may well be that the forum is actually viewed by considerably more people than become members or contribute. Posting anything on the forum can seem quite intimidating at first. When the forum is first viewed over a period of a week or two it can appear to be full of 'old hands' contributing a wealth of accumulated wisdom; almost an 'old boys (and girls) club'.

For Newbies with little experience, or even Newbies to the forum who have been growing things for many years, there can be the fear of appearing to be a complete 'numpty'. Although questions are almost always treated in a sympathetic way, there may be the unjustified fear of a 'put-down', leading to a feeling of 'I'd rather not ask'.

It can also feel a bit like butting into a conversation unasked at first. Experience shows that new contributions to the forums are always welcome, and that regulars are able to exhibit a healthy mix of the serious and the humorous, or at times the frankly bizarre.

Potential members need to know that we don't bite.
Geoff
KG Regular

Get monti involved

Please don't!

If you could involve Beechgrove you perhaps could tap into a raft of Scottish subscribers - real gardeners in that team.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty,

I am going to play devils advocate here.

To be fair I think that recently the forum has been promoted a lot more in the mainstream magazine and also in the online promotional pages. Can't really fault KG admin in that respect since all the update changes took place.

Re your suggestion of getting Monty involved, are you having trouble battling with a sandy landscape. Oops wrong Monty.

FredFromOssett

Have to agree with you, joining in with a forum can be very daunting, as you say there can be a feeling of trying to break into a clique. I hope we don't come across that way but to a degree it is inevitable when only a few post regularly.
If you are shy and retiring like what I am this can be very daunting.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

IMG_165260574432363.jpeg
IMG_165260574432363.jpeg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
OH prepares to go online
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Can't help but wonder if OH is related to Bob Geldof as there is a striking resemblence

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
alan refail
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Can't help but wonder if OH is related to Bob Geldof as there is a striking resemblence

Racking my memory cells!
Didn't Bob Geldof say something like "Give us your f*****g used tyres"?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic