Welcome Spring, Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Know what you mean by 'oh dear' Peter.

The parts of the plot that have had the lorry load of composted manure on are really nice to turn, still moist about a spit down but not excessively so. Soil is easy to turn and breaks up nicely.
In contrast the area which has had none of the composted manure on is dry on the surface but really claggy clay about half spit down.

On the subject of Compost I rang the supplier today to order two more one tonne loads. They are so busy they are now taking orders for delivery in June !! Not a lot of use to me
Talk about where there is muck there is brass.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Things Aint Wot they Used to Be

I went to a large local garden centre yesterday, on the Berkshire / Buckinghamshire border. Well established and has two branches
( yeah I know that's not much stock for a garden centre)

My visit would have been really good if I had wanted fresh (allegedly) fruit and veg, flowers to b be sent by Interflora, Scented Candles, Kids books and toys, Pet goods, Aquatic supplies or a dress or cardigan etc. from Edinburgh Woollen Mills. to name but a few.

Of course they want you to visit all these independent retail bits so they have a path that you have to follow to get from A to B. Its like a frigging maze !!

Indeed they do have some stock of plants and tools along with other sundry items that may be what you would expect in a garden centre, its just that you have to pass all the other crap to get to those sections.

Despite it being in a scenic area and 'local' Its off my list of places to visit.

I dislike shopping online, but sometimes there is just no satisfactory alternative means of supply

By the way, the car park was packed so my views must be in the minority or people are very parochial.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

My mum loves a good garden centre - she use to take my nan to the posh one as a treat. Funny thing is, I've never known her buy a plant from one..... She grows from seed. She has however bought fake flowers, sappy signs and over priced chutney from them.... All of which end up in our Christmas stockings.... And then the charity shops.

Something which is annoying me at that moment and wish I could do something about...... Not only in garden centres, but aldi and home base last week.... Selling young plants like pumpkins, courgettes and French beans which people will spend lots of money on, put them straight in the garden with their very excited kids (which is great) only for them to be killed by frost later this month. Why do shops sell these delicate plants so early in the season, with no warning about frosts? I find this incredibly missleading. By selling them now implies it's ok to put them out - 75% of people won't have a greenhouse to put them in. Sorry, rant over, but it does annoy me.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Couldn't agree more Pawty.

Almost deception by default. Really annoying.

Wonder how many of those excited kids will become dejected and saying in the future that they tried gardening when they were little and everything died so its not worth the effort.

Pawty
KG Regular

If anyone's reading this and works for companies doing this please sort it out!! As pa snip said, it's not doing anything to help us get younger generations to grow.

Monty / Allan T (you never know) how about starting a Jamie Oliver style campaign????
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Exactly what I thought yesterday in a garden centre. Rows of pathetic light deprived little tomato, cucumber, peppers and bedding plants inside the main building because it is too cold outside. What a waste either they will be killed off by being planted outside or they will languish in poor light and struggle to grow. It is hardly a way to encourage new gardeners.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Any bets on whether this subject would get into print under the 'From the Forum' heading, or even as an article in its own right.

To be fair to one large DIY chain (go on guess who, you know you can do it) I have seen signs in the past warning that plants may succumb to frost so should be kept protected. Not been the case in many outlets though.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pa Snip. Do you have to keep on about how easy it is to get manure. Round our way, it's come and collect, or forget it. :( :( :(
robo
KG Regular

We have three garden centres with in a five mile radius each has a posh cafe you can buy coats and shoes ,boots ,and slippers in them all ,as well as oak tables and other oak furniture all being pushed by a large firm on the goggle box at present, any type of patio furniture you want is there , I've been twice in the last twelve months first time I was after an Apple bush (Autumn last year ) second time I wanted a grape vine this was six weeks ago I came away empty handed both times
Monika
KG Regular

Although I agree with all the previous posts about 'garden centres' selling everything but the kitchen sink (maybe they sell those as well?!), I did broach this subject several years ago on this forum and it was pointed out to me by people who know that if they did not sell all these other bits and pieces, especially around Christmas time, they simply could not survive from the profits on plants, tools, potting compost etc. So, maybe one should be a bit more tolerant .....
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

There is a very good one on the way back from Canterbury to here. I went in there a few weeks back for some seeds and seed potatoes.
I got the seeds OK, and could see the seed potatoes from where I was standing, but had to go through a maze of dead end aisles before I could get to them :)
All manner of stuff piled high in these aisles, but no way through them. I had also decided to buy some seed compost, so had a trolley, which didn't help matters :lol:

I bought some Levington seed compost ( the one the professionals use ) according to the bag.
It doesn't seem any different to normal multi-purpose compost to me.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Pa Snip. Do you have to keep on about how easy it is to get manure. Round our way, it's come and collect, or forget it. :( :( :(

Shallot

All I can say is lucky you.
I have never claimed it easy to get manure. Perhaps you could refer me to where I have kept on about how easy it is

In fact I have stated that despite the fact this is a rural area and there are stables galore it is not even easy to find 'come and collect' places
What I have said is that I found a company who would deliver either in one tonne bags or by the lorry load.
I even recommended them on here and there was quite a jocular series of posts about it.

Ironic therefore that when I rang them yesterday to place a order they informed me they were so busy they would not be able to deliver until June :!:

You haven't been talking to them and diverting supplies have you :!: :!: :!: :lol:

Westi
KG Regular

Well trip to Wilkinson's was lively & took longer as predicted. No 50p seeds, but plug plants were good value, got 6 healthy yellow chilli plants for £2 & only paid a £1 for what seeds I did get, also their grapes & berries looked pretty good. Chinese supermarket was closed until mid April, so will try another visit.

The lively bit was the bag snatching in the arcade, where some shoppers chased & caught the lad (who was off his face). A few of them got a few kicks until the security & police arrived. The Victorians who settled Boscombe & turned it into one of the poshest places on the South Coast, must turn in their graves seeing the place now! Shame really, the beach & pier is lovely & most of the Victorian buildings remain even if a a poor state of repair!

Back at home took the leap & finally sprayed the prehistoric algae in the lawn as weather holding for a bit. Couldn't find the right dilution so used the one I found online for moss killing, test patch worked - fingers crossed. Looks like will be a bit busy tomorrow at lottie catching up!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi

Sorry to hear you missed out on some of the seeds at Wilko, but you were anticipating that possibility.

We also witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on a south coast beach today.
Man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids, when she smacked him one on the head it really kicked off between them. The police turned up and the policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke but the guy actually managed to get the baton off the copper and started hitting the copper and the woman with it.

Then a crocodile turned up and stole the sausages……….
:lol:

Wonder if Wilko will get more seed in at the reduced price. Seems early in season to be clearing seed out altogether although I did notice they had a large range of Johnsons seeds. Maybe they are clearing out own brand in favour of more expensive branded ones

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Westi

Wonder if Wilko will get more seed in at the reduced price. Seems early in season to be clearing seed out altogether although I did notice they had a large range of Johnsons seeds. Maybe they are clearing out own brand in favour of more expensive branded ones

The one in Folkestone has always stocked Johnsons as well as their own. They have all been 3 for 2 this year again.
I bought a few packets today and got them half price, although I didn't see any sign anywhere to say that. It was only when I looked at the receipt that I realised :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic