Of Easter Eggs...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Marigold
KG Regular

Well, HAPPY EASTER everyone! I claim the award for the best bargain in eggs.. Apart from the free range brown eggs I was given at the Traditional Farms, I bought a plethora of Cadbury's Creme Eggs in Dunnes. Dunnes is our Irish chain store; food and clothing etc... They are or were selling boxes of 5 CCE ; 3 boxes for E5 , so I stocked up before they decided that was a mistake. 15 eggs for E5.. big eggs 3 for E4.50... Yummy.. Lady who saw me thought they would all be eaten before today but that is one thing I will not do! ALDI were nearly E3 for one box of 5... ENJOY the eggs whether they are real or chocolate..
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Happy Easter Marigold

Hope you enjoy those crème eggs, personally used to love them. Regret though that I think they were one of the first to suffer ingredient/recipe change when Cadburys got taken over.

Mind you, what well known chocolate hasn't changed. what used to be Weston Wagon Wheels now only fit a Mini. :D

Happy Easter Sunday all
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A very Happy Easter from me, as well....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Marigold wrote:Well, HAPPY EASTER everyone! ENJOY the eggs whether they are real or chocolate..

You've put me in the mood for some nice fresh pale blue eggshell eggs our crème legbar chicken has laid.
Two, boiled I think, with soldiers. Not had that for ages.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Happy Easter to everybody. Not that it really affects me much but the sooner they fix this holiday to a sensible time the better. I can't find out when they used to celebrate Ēostre but I'm pretty sure it was in April. Where would you put it? Monday and Tuesday after the first or second Sunday in April? Certainly nothing to do with the Big Book of Fairy Stories and the convoluted calculations from the Middle Ages.
Pawty
KG Regular

Happy Easter - off to hide eggs for my niece, but, shall I be mean and tell her there's eleven when there's only 10! :twisted:

Geoff - completely agree - aren't we supposed to plant our potatoes on Easter weekend traditionally??
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I must say that I agree with you Geoff. I don't know what day it is most of the time now I've retired and we've no children in the family yet to fit ourselves round school terms etc. So movable holidays mess things up even more.

It's a lovely day for gardening anyway, I don't need much excuse for eating chocolate, and I couldn't care less whether the shops are open or not.

When I was small we used to go to Sunday school and be given crosses made from palm leaves and I thought it was really special. Now most children only think about how many chocolate eggs they will get and I'm tired of all the trouble that occurs in the name of religion.

Sorry I'd better get out in the garden and cheer up :D
peter
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Geoff, completely agree - aren't we supposed to plant our potatoes on Easter weekend traditionally??

I always go by St Patricks day - weather permitting.

The ones I failed to harvest last year are binary, either completely rotted away(bit of skin and a void), or, perfect looking spuds.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Just blame Abbess Hild of Streonshalh, who called them all to her synod to finally agree a date for Easter between the Celtic and Roman churches - and what a mess they made of it! Typical committee work!
If Ēostre was the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring, I bet the celebrations were on the Spring Equinox - so even earlier!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Marigold
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I must say that I agree with you Geoff. I don't know what day it is most of the time now I've retired and we've no children in the family yet to fit ourselves round school terms etc. So movable holidays mess things up even more.

It's a lovely day for gardening anyway, I don't need much excuse for eating chocolate, and I couldn't care less whether the shops are open or not.

When I was small we used to go to Sunday school and be given crosses made from palm leaves and I thought it was really special. Now most children only think about how many chocolate eggs they will get and I'm tired of all the trouble that occurs in the name of religion.

Sorry I'd better get out in the garden and cheer up :D

That was Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter... and we still do that here in Ireland and elsewhere and we still honour the day and the Gift.. 8 am Mass in Killarney was lovely. Here. candles and flowers after Lent. Beauty indeed in faith. Off to enjoy the rest of the day; the weather is brutal
Marigold
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Happy Easter to everybody. Not that it really affects me much but the sooner they fix this holiday to a sensible time the better. I can't find out when they used to celebrate Ēostre but I'm pretty sure it was in April. Where would you put it? Monday and Tuesday after the first or second Sunday in April? Certainly nothing to do with the Big Book of Fairy Stories and the convoluted calculations from the Middle Ages.

Sad for thee my friend but not sharing your ideas.
Westi
KG Regular

I love white chocolate & so wanted a little lamb from Lidl's but they sold out weeks ago. Hubby knowing my fondness bought me a Hello Kitty white egg from M & S. I truly think it may cure my addiction - absolutely gross, sickly & not the slightest bit like chocolate!

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL!

Westi
Westi
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Happy Easter to all :)

I kept away from chocolate this year.

Now, Hot Cross Buns..........That's another story :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic