Cats!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

When the world is dark and hard, there are always cats to comfort.. Somehow I now have FIVE, all rescues as cats are neglected here in Ireland and the feral population would ache the heart.. I used to breed Siamese then when I moved to ireland decided to put back into the system and give homes to needy ones.. My very first day in ireland I gave my chicken stew to three strays at the door and have never stopped.. Never meant to have FIVE, but... 2 are with me ten years; my black and white long haired comfort cats with bed privileges.... One is a semi feral who arrived up here soon after I moved in when word went round there was a soft touch here. He keeps the other ferals away magnificently as they are territorial. He endangers me when I am outside as he wraps round my ankles....and filling the coal bucket is interesting..The last two are fairly new; when my collie died and when one of my older cats had been kidnapped past summer ( safe home after six weeks) the house felt empty.. So i gathered in a wee feral with a terrible past; she is still very much feral and not handelable, but loves her food and is safe. I am here for them not vice versa,, and the last is a comedian cat who had been surrendered as his family were moving in with a relative who was allergic. We are still sorting out the pecking order, but they are a delight and a challenge at times. And never a mouse or a rat or rabbit around.. When the world id dark and hard, there are cats...
Westi
KG Regular

Ha! Marigold - you are taking my crown as mad cat woman!

I have 3 cats, 2 spayed, one pure breed (Birman) but also spayed but one young one (1/2 feral, 1/2 British shorthair) is allowed to breed & is due kittens around the 20th of next month. She usually has 4 mittens, but is a nipple donor so if there is a litter without a Mum or a rejected mitten around at the right time, they are introduced & brought up as hers. Last year there were none as she gave birth early but maybe this year. (The window is quite small or they will not be accepted).

Working at the hospital I have folk who want the kittens & they give them good homes, but because they work won't be prioritised from cat rescue, but I work & have wonderful happy cats & good neighbours when they are young! My job is you give me a mitten for the nipple donor then it is mine & I will re-house! It works well for them & me! I am stopped repeatedly in the corridor to see pics of the fur babies from past litters. Let's see if there is any available this year - got 7 people already still waiting from last year - they could have got a kitty from anywhere in that time but waited.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Cats really are great company, I have two boys who came from blue cross. They wouldn't let me have kittens because we work full time. My husband works away a lot, so it's nice to come home to their happy (often guilty looking ) faces.

The tabby is incredibly naughty, while the black one is just so sweet.

Sorry, I can't resist .......
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (669.39 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Marigold
KG Regular

Westi you are awesome... here in Ireland the feral population is appalling and disease ridden. At least my five are safe... but i have put up the HOUSE FULL sign...This first photo is the ankle loving stray who arrived three years ago. He had obviously been handled so I think someone dumped him up here knowing me... Image and these are my two ten year olds Image
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Marigold!

Your two ten year olds are so handsome. The one on the right in your picture is well unusual with the black top & the white lower lip - it's a perfect line!

This is Luna May, the mother to be. Lovely little calico kitty!
IMG_2103.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 5502 times

Westi
Westi
Marigold
KG Regular

Thanks Westi. They were part of a litter of 3 I took in from a cat shelter that was in an appalling state. I mean the cat shelter was appalling and it was also the regional SPCA ..They came equipped with feline enteritis caught there and though I got them all through that the 3rd who was short haired died then of a heart defect. Beata, the female on the right is very symmetrical! White socks that match perfectly. She is also top cat and is the one who was catnapped last summer. Chocolate box pretty ..they had been raised by a man who had seen their mother killed on the road and by the time they were 12 weeks he could not cope any more..They are the cats of my old age and precious to me and act like bookends sometimes...
Marigold
KG Regular

pawty... lovely cat!
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks marigold - although he wasn't lovely at 9 o'clock this morning when I was trying to get him in his box to take him to the vets for his jabs!
Marigold
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Thanks marigold - although he wasn't lovely at 9 o'clock this morning when I was trying to get him in his box to take him to the vets for his jabs!

OUCH! I have bought one crate trap for when the day comes the orange and white boy has to go to be fixed. ....he got shut in a room once and wrecked the place.
alan refail
KG Regular

Marigold

My Tomos (female despite the name) says "Good on you!"

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Marigold
KG Regular

alan now THAT is a cat!
alan refail
KG Regular

Marigold wrote:alan now THAT is a cat!

Indeed she is!
Despite being a pedigree Long-haired British Grey she was also a stray!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Marigold
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
Marigold wrote:alan now THAT is a cat!

Indeed she is!
Despite being a pedigree Long-haired British Grey she was also a stray!

Their loss; your gain....Here are my bookends.....Image[/URL]I
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic