Getting Madder & too Old!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Yes, that little pet appeared on the local news site! He's been stood in a cafe garden for a few years, perhaps he wants to wander off to live with the others on our dinosaur coast!

Bit big for recycling though... :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

Peter what a beautiful dog! When we bought our wire haired Vizsla the breeder had these as well & they are lovely!

Yep a big dog barking at the window is the best deterrent! Although our Springers always did a pretty good job as well - & much cleverer than the dopey hairy one but big dog = big bark, even if no action.

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

His good looks are his compensation for his lack of brains, but thank you Westi :oops: he is a handsome hound. Pot luck as he was a rescue via GSPRescue to us at a few days under a year old, can't quite believe we've had him for three years now, he has become a much nicer animal but very excitable still.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

And one for Alan...

Oh no! look what's happened.... he didn't make it to freedom! :( :( :(

https://www.facebook.com/IsleofWightCanDepress/?fref=nf
Westi
KG Regular

I have successfully received by DBS forms, quite quick really. All cool I thought, but then that little niggle, it's been a bit weird, so popped it in my bag. E-mailed HR - I've received my clearance forms, have you? Hoping new contract comes soon. (No hugs & kisses or smiley faces of course)! :wink:

Response - Please drop it over as soon as you can - we don't get a copy any more! What??? They contract these people & pay for it & don't even get a copy??? It is indeed getting madder? If I suddenly decided to decline the post & was from outside the Trust, I'd have a nice, new (& free), current DBS check for the next application.

Befuddled for sure! But well excited - only 38 days to my move!

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Yes but is it transferable?
I couldn't use my Rugby Club one at work.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Not sure Peter - it mentions the post you've applied for in a wee box at the top. They used to be only valid for the actual time they searched, so in those days it was actually out of date when you received it.

I've just had read of the conditions on the back & doesn't say not transferrable. It goes on about you having 3 months to dispute if any information is wrong, so is the the life of the document? Happy to scan the back info to you if you want, just in case it has changed.

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

My son is a GP partner now but when he first got his registration as a GP he used to do contracts, mainly prisons, and had to apply for numerous registrations. The system is nonsense and still doesn't stop bad things happening.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

You, the applicant, have to pay an extra £13 (I think) at the time of application to make it a transferable one. You can then give the document number to any new employer, charity etc and their designated person can check. A transferable one is updated with any new information as it's not just a paper copy. If you haven't done that then it's not transferable.

You could not use a non-transferable one for any other employer/job/position. You'd have to apply again. And a non-transferable is only as good as the day it is done but the legal obligation is on you to declare any changes. Employers have not received a copy for some time and it was illegal for a photocopy to be taken but I'm not sure if this is still the case, they are supposed to record that they have seen it.

Amazing the info you pick up as you go along!
Marigold
KG Regular

I am a UK citizen in Ireland, trying to reinsure a 17 year old car when I am well over 70. Insurance companies here decided last year to refuse to cover or charge huge amounts. I finally aft6r several near heart attacks got a reasonable quote and the company wanted to see my driving licence. We are supposed to carry it everywhere by law but that is for photo id and it is the old paper licence so I carry my UK passport instead. Panic as I cannot find the paper licence. I knew already that DVLA will not renew or replace a licence if you live outside the UK so I called them; added complication that I changed my name by Declaration when I lived in Scotland...no paperwork and DSS of course accepted it as did the passport people... DVLA sent a Letter of Entitlement which is proof I am qualified to drive and then i saw that my UK licence expired in 2013 when I reached 70.. But OK! I am entitled to drive here without applying for an Irish licence for ten years after my UK licence expires.. Have sent all the details to the insurers and am waiting with bated breath to see if they end the coveted disc.. WHY is life so ******* complicated! As for unwanted callers? I live 2 miles up a dirt track and even the JWs do not bother any more. My wee dog would terrify them merely with her bark and the gate is padlocked at all times. I have a phone shared with my modem and no one has the number.. email is grand....
Marigold
KG Regular

Just been reminded why I left the UK... well one reason! The obduracy of red tape dispensers. .... had to hang the phone up as I could feel blood pressure rising.. Just about sorted my car insurance but the delay is because of the old name on my licence and Letter of Entitlement to drive. So I called DVLA to ask them nicely to reissue with my real name. Explained several times re name change by Declaration but she kept on asking for written documentation and even then no way could they do that unless I live in the UK..referred me to the Irish authorities who have referred me to them... ah well; no one asked to see my licence for 30 years and I am legally allowed to drive here for ten years after my licence expired.. So I will just keep silence and type a formal note re the name change.. BUT THE SHEER FRUSTRATiON of trying to communicate with officialdom...will not do that again in a long while!
Geoff
KG Regular

My friend who lives in your area, Killorglin, decided to become Irish but the local paper made a small mistake when they published the statutory notice by saying he was applying to be nationalised.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff

They obviously thought your friend to be industrious

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Marigold
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:My friend who lives in your area, Killorglin, decided to become Irish but the local paper made a small mistake when they published the statutory notice by saying he was applying to be nationalised.

That figures! Thankfully the Gardai here are laid back and kind to old ladies. At one roadcheck, I had all the discs but had not got round to putting them in the holders on view and the Garda did all that for me. I drive on country roads etc so little chance of being stopped. As for spelling mistakes; one estate agent wrote of a derelict property needing " expensive repairs" instead of "extensive".. how true though..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic