Seeds are In!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Now that was one e-mail I was very pleased to see from the lottie committee. Seems earlier delivery this year but not complaining. Just like all previous years I am looking forward to see what varieties I bought, for that matter what I bought!

Every year I make a list of what I have ordered, every year put that list in the catalogue & every year throw that catalogue away as I have ordered what I wanted. No such thing as learning from mistakes at the Westi's. :roll:

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Yay seeds :-) my seeds for the year are currently sat in a tin on a shelf at my perants... Collecting them tomorrow
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Back in 2014 I set up a buying group for the allotment holders on our site, the groups seed order arrived before Christmas. Their seed potatoes orders have just arrived and I have distributed them.
One lot of red onion set and a sweetcorn plant collection only items now outstanding.

Have yet to purchase our seed potatoes, will visit our usual nursery. Also thinking of going to a potato day later in month down at Whitchurch in Hampshire

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So much hope in a little packet, i still get a tingle of excitement with every packet of seed i open.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:So much hope in a little packet, i still get a tingle of excitement with every packet of seed i open.

Oh how true, I used to get the same hope and tingle as a teenager with a different type of packet. but the contents held so much hope :lol:

we said morning earlier OH, so must be afternoon now

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You little devil Pasnip :D
Back to gardening - I'm going to get some more onion setts from the Pound shop as the two packets I got last year, one red and one white were excellent. A year's supply of onions for £2.
I'll have to check what seeds I've bought too as I think I ordered something a bit different from Real seeds and the Heritagle Seed library.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Sounds like a bargain PP. will have to take a look and see what our local 99p / £ shops have

Not planning on planting any spring sets of onions. Will get some shallots though.

Fingers crossed that the onion seed I have already sown will serve our purpose

Pawty
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote: Also thinking of going to a potato day later in month down at Whitchurch in Hampshire

Do you have any more info on the potato day in Whitchurch? I live in Hampshire so would be good to go along.

Thanks
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawtry

I have been told about it by friends who go each year.
its on the 30th and 31st January, 10am > 3pm
Testbourne Community Centre, Micheldever Road, Whitchurch RG28 7JF (event signposted from A34)
Adult entry £2. Children free

Organisers claim there were 114 varieties available last year, loose tubers available or 2.5kg nets

Also might be a seed swap stall

Hope that helps

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:Yay seeds :-) my seeds for the year are currently sat in a tin on a shelf at my perants...

Oi, young Dan.

On the basis Iv'e been corrected on my vocabulary use.

Erm......... I'm doing it all the time and I blame predictive text that really is out of control because sometimes I forget it's there.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:
dan3008 wrote:Yay seeds :-) my seeds for the year are currently sat in a tin on a shelf at my perants...(that should read parents' house)

Oi, young Dan.

On the basis Iv'e been corrected on my vocabulary use.

Erm......... I'm doing it all the time and I blame predictive text that really is out of control because sometimes I forget it's there.

--edit--
I've just noticed the error you were pointing out... I'll blame my dyslexia and leave it at that.
--edit over--

i'm only 24 ;) some days I feel like the baby on the forum lol.

Although I feel about 60 at the moment with a toddler running me ragged... and a back back, a knee injury from 5 years ago that wont heal (my doc says it'll need replacing by the time i'm 35... Way to make me feel good :/) and a right elbow that simply wont straighten past 3/4 extended... Still, not one to complain, I've got a good lot in life at the moment, stay at home dad, with a wonderful kid, and a garden that is so massive I only grow stuff in 1/2 of it, and its still bigger than my old 1/2 size allotment

Although, back on the topic of seeds. I still get the same buzz with a new packet of seeds now, that I did the first time I ever grew anything, when I was 5 and my Grandma gave me a packet of carrot seeds... Now every time I grow carrots I still feel connected to her. :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

Talking of seeds, if you're after a bargain park promotions have a sale. Basically, just the foils, but if you don't mind that, you can get seeds at 5p a pack! I've ordered from them before and I think delivery was cheap. Worth signing up to the emails as they have these sales every few months.

http://www.park-promotions.co.uk/acatalog/csgdng.html
Westi
KG Regular

Not bad value & pretty good selection. Thanks Pawty!

I'm so glad my seeds came as had duplicated some of them with the lists for other suppliers that I will buy with my birthday money next month, wouldn't have been a total disaster but a waste of money, which is precious at the moment with the number of things going wrong with the house since Xmas requiring plumbers & electricians. Grrrr!

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I was passing our small local garden centre this morning and found that the new seed potatoes were in stock, loose in sacks rather than packs, so one can choose however many one wants of one variety. They are then weighed (all varieties are the same price) and one pays accordingly. With the greatly reduced space on our now half allotment, I am only growing potatoes in pots and sacks at home, so this method is ideal.
They are now chitting in the greenhouse.
robo
KG Regular

One of our local garden centres are selling patatoes by the bag full, £2-98 per bag they have around 12 varieties to choose from I managed to get 64 all a decent size in 3 bags a lot better than last year when I bought them on line from one of the famous seed company's some of them where less than an inch in diameter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic