New eating and drinking habits.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Just before Christmas I had an appointment with the cardiac nurse during the course of the appointment the conversation turned to food and how it was beneficial for me to eat fresh vegetables and fish when I pointed out that I grow most of the vegetables we eat and have chickens that produce fresh eggs I then asked would it be ok if I went out fishing on the boat I own in partnership with my mate, I was told in no uncertain way not to go near it until the weather warms up out of desperation I said when the weather warms up the cod will have finished their winter run and won't be there for the taking the nurse replied '' what a lovely life you have you grow your own veg have fresh eggs daily and even catch your own fish how lucky are you '' it was then I had to point out to her I was at the appointment because I have had an heart attack no matter how healthy you live when your numbers up its good bye
Geoff
KG Regular

Behind the curtains some party pooper is right now working on the ill effects of eating cabbage

Bugger - just picked an 11lb Savoy!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Another danger for you:- Dad had to switch cowboy films and the football off when they got exciting as they caused an angina attack. Should they issue a health warning?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

My honorable ancestors are 92 and 94 enjoy a glass of wine with their dinner and a malt whiskey before bed. Doesn't seem to have shortened their allotted yet... :D but neither are in perfect nick and don't expect to be.

Quite possibly doctors expect us to all be in great shape. By the way, aren't doctors supposed to have one of the worst drinking problems by profession? The doctors at my local surgery certainly do a good line in beer bellies... :lol:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Fat doctors and nurses have never been an exception, rather the rule.

Over the years I spent a lot of time in hospital, mostly orthopaedic wards. During the last five years I had two hip jobs done and was aghast at the amount of overweight staff. Let's face it, the frightening statistics cover the whole spectrum.

Two out of three doctors in our GP surgery were massively overweight last time I paid a visit and all the nursing and ancillary staff were fat and many massively overweight.

Absolutely no reason why an overweight person can't be a caring and effective GP/nurse but it all seems wrong to me and do you remember the crap they fed you last time you were in hospital ?

Here is a question for you, are regular over indulging drinkers classically fat or slim ? In our household it's the cake eater that is fat and the boozer is slim, where is the greater risk and why should the risk be apportioned rather than just classified as a risk. Then we have those who spend most of their life sitting in a chair, some by habit, some by choice and some because that is how they earn a living.

A lot of people never walk further than their car and will fight for the nearest parking just so they don't need to walk.

It's all a huge risk and I wasn't joking about the cabbage.

Have you ever read a monthly called, "What the doctor won't tell you". The sole purpose of this monthly is to sell you expensive snake oil disguised by a few interesting articles on health issues most of which have never been researched or maybe the research hasn't been published. For whatever reason.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Even as a nutritionist I think a lot of the government recommendations are a load of old twaddle, mostly made up by people with no idea...

however, I decided to adopt all the recommendations at once, and heres the result

health.jpg
health.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

(not my photo)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I hesitate to use the text-speak symbol and the emoticon on the basis that I am also sliding into the abyss of pathetic. (On the basis of what I read)

Huge smile Dan.

I have very good reasons to have lost confidence in health proffesionals and those making a living from our wellbeing, so-much-so that I ask far too many questions most of which can't be answered or won't be answered.

What got me thinking about this continued scaremongering on alchohol is who is benefitting from the research, assuming research is being done ? I'm now looking for the published reseach.

usually it's the tax man that benefits or maybe to slow down the number of alchohol related illnesses and behaviour, im not aware that it's as bad as obesity. cancer from unrelated sources and road death.

Im looking but my attension span is short, there are jobs to do, so don't hold your breath.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Tried that for lunch - now I need a dentist.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:What got me thinking about this continued scaremongering on alchohol is who is benefitting from the research, assuming research is being done ? I'm now looking for the published reseach.

There is research, I had to study lots of things like that during my degree, but almost all of it is behind paywalls, so there is no way of accessing it without paying too much money...

I agree though, all research has a beneficiary, and a bias to what benefits that person/company... Basically, all research leans towards supporting the person holding the cash... Even the best researchers cant do research without money

Geoff wrote:Tried that for lunch - now I need a dentist.

Your not meant to bite it geoff... Your meant to suck until it melts... the idea is that you'll only get to eat one meal a day, because it'll take you so long

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Nah! Just sit in the warm sun while eating them - could even try it with a straw! Mind they are cheap to make so think of the savings to pay the dentist. :D

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Because someone has taken the time to research a topic doesn't mean that research is credible, if the research was done by a respected body I'm sure that respected body will be prepared to skew the research into a particular direction and for the benefit of the primary funding source.

If the funding source really wants the results known rather than reporting on the findings in the way it feels appropriate then it will have that research published for the good of those who's interest it's supposed to serve.

There are, of course, people who believe anything the media produces.

I was once filmed, the resulting material was heavily edited and added to after I had been told verbally of the reason behind the subject matter. When the article came out and was repeated many times on channel 4 the whole thing was politically motivated, probably sourced or funded by government. When I contacted the producer she said I had misunderstood her explanation and that they wouldn't withdraw the article. My only resource would have been in court, it's widely understood that you can make outlandish claims via the media and won't risk going too court relying on your ability, or the ability of a lawyer to convince the judge against a body such as BBC.

Like property conveyancing there is an element of fraud in the legal system in that it is set up so think you can't manage without them or with them. As is the case.

If you get to my age without becoming a cynic then apathy set in along the way to such an extent that pathetic might be a better term to use.
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:Because someone has taken the time to research a topic doesn't mean that research is credible, if the research was done by a respected body I'm sure that respected body will be prepared to skew the research into a particular direction and for the benefit of the primary funding source.

If the funding source really wants the results known rather than reporting on the findings in the way it feels appropriate then it will have that research published for the good of those who's interest it's supposed to serve.

agreed, Like I said, I've never found a research paper that wasn't bias towards the funding body, except maybe student dissertations. dissertations tend to say whatever the tutor wants... I made the mistake of not skewing my data... I nearly failed my degree because my tutor disagreed with my data...

Ricard with an H wrote:There are, of course, people who believe anything the media produces.

you mean like david cameron's death ;)

Ricard with an H wrote:If you get to my age without becoming a cynic then apathy set in along the way to such an extent that pathetic might be a better term to use.

your age? I didmnt make it to 20 ;)

Geoff
KG Regular

Cynic : Someone who is critical of the motives of others
Sceptic : Someone who habitually doubts accepted beliefs

We need a word half way between : Someone who habitually doubts anything they are told (particularly by anyone in authority)

I trust you have discovered "More or Less" on Radio 4 Friday 4:30.
dan3008
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I trust you have discovered "More or Less" on Radio 4 Friday 4:30.

Indeed. Although my radio broke before Christmas and I haven't fixed/replaced it yet

Just a somewhat relevant quote "a new study has found most people will believe a sentence that starts a new study has found"

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The very sad result is that you can get into an argument that started as a sensible discussion as a result of people believing just about everything they read, hear on the radio, see on TV or even worse on the internet.

It was just over 15 years ago that I employed a solicitor who was a practicing christian in other ways than just attending his church and doing a bit of evangelising, he was "Giving-up the buisiness of soliciting" because, as he put it, "I can't cope with the conveyancing fraud".

When I asked him to elaborate as he conveyanced for me he wrote down the title of a book I should read called, 'Conveyancing Fraud'

I bought it and read it a few times, it's an eye opener. This book illustrates how the legal proffesion has manipulated the whole buying and selling of property system so that it's almost impossible to do it yourself. But you can. Though many or all lenders won't have anything to do with an amatuer conveyance.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic