What was I eating ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

stephynash
KG Regular

Hubby and I called in to a country pub for meal on way home from a day out and in the accompanying side salad I had some delicious, what I though were,tiny pea size tangy peppers. They had a lovely zesty zing to them, but not too hot. Have been looking on seed company web sites but cannot find anything like them as I want to grow some. Anyone got any idea of what it was I could have been eating.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Were they green? Might have been capers.
stephynash
KG Regular

No they were bright red. Def. not capers.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Why not ask the Pub.
Pawty
KG Regular

Could be Peperoncino Ciliegia Piccante - I had some free seeds for these last year from Thompson & Morgan - was going to try to grow some on the patio this year.

Or could be tomatillo which is a cross between gooseberry, cucumber and tomatoes which are small and red. My husband had them on a recent flight to Japan and had to ask what they were. He said they were delicious.

You have prompted me to look through my chilli seeds.... Packet says Plant from January to April ..... I need to start planning.

Although my overwintered chilli plants (some on forth year, some third) are looked good, although starting to wake up a bit early in these temperatures.
stephynash
KG Regular

Many thanks everyone. Tomatillo sounds promising, I will look it up. Hubby has suggested we take another trip out and find the pub and ask them - good excuse for another meal out. I will let people know when I found out as they were delicious and others may be interested in growing some
Westi
KG Regular

Please do post when you find out Stephynash!

I like it when people stumble on something that really excites the palate (except a Dorset Naga maybe), so very interested!

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Doubt they are Tomatillos, they are as big as large cherry Tomatoes. They have a lemony taste.
stephynash
KG Regular

Well I now have an answer to my original question and it is really a bit disappointing. We went back to the restaurant and as soon as I asked the waiter he knew the answer as many people had already enquired.
They were "Roquita" peppers. They are NOT a type of pepper, they are a Brand Name and are sold in jars in many supermarkets. Can't remember the name of the firm but they seep what I presume are the small red jalapea peppers in a sweet syrup mixture and call the end product Roquita Peppers.
I shall be growing Jalapea peppers myself this year to try to pickle them in sweet syrup and see how they turn out.
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting! I searched it & got a bit of a info about Peru & some restaurant reviews but no info as to where to buy or how to make. When time is available will do a little more research - must be out there, but Mr Google only interested in the fact that they are on some Pizza shop's pizza's.

Bizarre idea though - putting peppers in syrup, but could well work!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I also looked up the Roquita peppers a couple of years ago because they were in a recipe. I was disappointed to find that they were a trade mark and came in a jar because tnnhey sounded very good. If you find some in the shop perhaps you could list the ingredients so we can make our own. I've got several bag fulls of suitable sized, medium hot peppers in the freezer that I would love to use up.
dan3008
KG Regular

Out with L/O right now, but I have a recipe at home for sweet pickled hot peppers (actually for jalapeño's) when I get in I'll post it If I can find the book it's in
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That sounds just the job Dan.
dan3008
KG Regular

2 pounds hot peppers, sliced or halved (about 8 cups)
3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (4 teaspoons) sea salt

Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the peppers, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining peppers. Drain the cooled peppers and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids.

Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Carefully fill jars (or containers) with the mix to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the peppers completely. (Discard any leftover mix.)

Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. last about a month
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic