Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

I feel like we've had that much some days!

They don't let the cattle wallow round here.
Catherine
KG Regular

A friend of mine lives is a large "executive house" which is three stories high and on Sunday during the worst of the weather here which was around 12.30pm/ 1pm she had all her ridge tiles and some of her roof tiles blown off her house in a particularly bad squall. Her front garden looks like a bomb site.

I need to do some work at our allotment as we left it late putting it to bed and now I am too late and we, even though we are on a slope we are still very very wet. Hope to get some dry weather next week :lol: so I can go and do some clearing.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Had our first Christmas card arrive in the post, today. :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

We had a couple today !! I haven't even started Christmas shopping or the cards!
Primrose
KG Regular

Two cards here too. I think the Black Friday and Cyber Monday events are triggering people to panic that they may be late for Christmas ! By the time December 25th arrives there will almost be nothing left to celebrate.
Catherine
KG Regular

Oh Primrose you made me smile with your post. Today I did my christmas cards to family abroad and just carried on with the others so now I have done all my cards and sent also. The first time ever I am ahead of myself. :lol:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have manifested what I think is cabin fever, even though I have a lovely home and a blokes shed to die for and manage to keep them both warm I need to get away.

I walk Beti up the fields or along the lanes for shelter from strong wind every morning but I'm used to being outside most of the time.

Next weekend I'll drive inland, well stay close to Bath. Visit friends, walk around Bath until I'm so sore I can't walk any further, breath in the exhaust fumes from hundreds of cars crawling along looking for somewhere to park, moan about having to look in numerous shops and the price of everything, moan about the traffic all the way along the M4 and all the way back then be very happy to be back in my cabin.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Richard, there's nothing like going away to make us realize, there's no place like home..... :D

I hope Pa Snip is alright, as he hasn't been on here for a few days!!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

It's biblical out there, or Babylonian depending on your point of view.
Monika
KG Regular

I am surprised you are still with us, Geoff, and haven't been blown away! It's vicious here.
Primrose
KG Regular

It is certainly a good drying day for washing but I'm worried I might be sharing it with half the local area unless I use double clothes pegs on all the items!
Geoff
KG Regular

Drying washing? - cut out the middle man, cover it in detergent and hang it out!

Been out for my weekly newspaper driving through debris and floods. One of the local main roads was closed earlier in the week as it had been washed into the river Wenning, which looks pretty frightening today. It might be windy up here (must download the data again) but when it gets this wet being on a hill isn't a bad idea. It looks like we've got at least 12 more hours of rain which suggests some serious damage. Starting to worry about a river crossing we did as part of our broadband project, it was early days with little money so we channelled the river bed rather than build a pipe bridge or stretching a wire hawser which might have been better. Haven't walked round the garden but it looks like we've lost a Bullace tree, quite sad as it was the only decent sized tree on the site when we bought it. I think letting a Clematis climb up into it has made something for the wind to get hold of high up.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've discovered a website I didn't know about.

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/r ... fault.aspx

If you play about you can get to your local data. I mentioned the River Wenning earlier, if you get to a local map you find the monitoring points and then the detailed data.

It will only let me put one link in a post so two more posts coming up. I like this sort of thing - hope somebody else does!
Geoff
KG Regular

Geoff
KG Regular

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/r ... ionId=5012

It says highest ever but on the right you can see monitoring only started in 2004, the bridge was washed away not too many years ago so it must have been higher.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic