Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Well I send out information to a mass circulation list once a week and all my Tiscali recipients have been having their emails bounced back. I'm just waiting for them to use the excuse "It's the wrong type of wind!"
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Mail servers ?

Occasionally some know-it-all IT bozo changes things at the server end so your clients Mail-client-settings are wrong.

I had this a number of times with different providers so we now have private domains hosted though those hosting servers can go wrong at least I always go back to the same person and he/she will be in Lancashire.

IT workers, the less they know, the snootier they are. Or is it snotty ?

I was once told by a call centre IT worker that my Christmas tree was causing my loss of service, most of these call centre helpers know less than us. They are heavily scripted then trained to be assertive.

Tiscali ? :lol:
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:........Sailors are rascals for exaggerating wind speeds.

You seen that episode of Black Adder 2 with Tom Baker?

"You have a lady's hands milord".
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Well I send out information to a mass circulation list once a week and all my Tiscali recipients have been having their emails bounced back. I'm just waiting for them to use the excuse "It's the wrong type of wind!"

Probably due to the number and frequency of e-mails you send out.

The "Robots" have analysed your e-mail usage and decided that you could be a Spammer, sending offers for young ladies from Russia and the accompanying needful medications to lonely gentlemen. :twisted:

Genuinely mean robots, programs and systems that monitor e-mail services, internet traffic et al.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Huge smile.

I just pulled a mahoosive leek, this year is the first time I grew leeks. A few early ones I pulled were lovely but these mahoosive ones appear to have forgotten they are leeks and-so present Solid mass of leek rather than, erm, like An onion.

Why would you want a solid mass of leek, please help.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Richard. Don't knock your jumbo leek! Mine have barely been worth digging up this year.
You can't go wrong with a chunky leek and potato soup especially if it's made with home made chicken stock and some pieces of smokey bacon thrown In for extra flavouring.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose.

I have never-ever experienced a solid leek and although my leek sowing and planting was a seat of the pants affair those leeks grew well. A little rust though considering the neglect my kitchen garden got after Beti joined us I'm surprised I harvested anything worth talking about.

Good news is that Beti had no interest in carrots or any other vegetable, I'm told it was our fault for introducing carrot to our departed Molly that probably started her interest.

Not doing that again.

Kale is still providing a crop and I have new plants to go under mini polytunnels as soon as I find time and/or the weather calms enough for a gardening session.

It's so lovely to pull a few carrots out of the ground rather than open a bag of store-bought carrots grown in paraffin.
Richard.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:Huge smile.

I just pulled a mahoosive leek, this year is the first time I grew leeks. A few early ones I pulled were lovely but these mahoosive ones appear to have forgotten they are leeks and-so present Solid mass of leek rather than, erm, like An onion.

Leeks are meant to be leeks all the way up, not round balls with a stem.
Am I missing something?
robo
KG Regular

I had four Leeks blown over last week, not had chance to check today I went to the plot to feed the chickens and was met with devastation the winds where gusting over 70 mph over night , I put a tarpaulin over the chicken run last week in an attempt to try and keep the rain off that's gone awal, my covers for the raised beds where stacked out of the way by fellow plotters while I was in hospital I tied them together to stop them getting blown about they have been blown about 20 feet down the plot, along with the gales we have had torrential rain for the last four days ,it's not a pretty site down the allotment
peter
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:
Ricard with an H wrote:Huge smile.

Leeks are meant to be leeks all the way up, not round balls with a stem.
Am I missing something?

I think Richard had flower stems developed in his leeks.
So he has a solid thick core with a few leaves rolled round it, rather than the "like an onion" continuous roll of leaves from top to bottom. :? :?

retropants
KG Regular

At least you have leeks! Mine all dissolved back into the soil, I transplanted about 50 of the buggers too. :(
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Yes, Peter has it.

So maybe not all, my remaining leeks are solid. I have assumed it's because of their size they become solid.

Thanks Peter.
Richard.
Catherine
KG Regular

We went to check out allotment twice yesterday the wind was so strong. We are lucky that we have trees surrounding out whole allotment and we have found over 15 years we have been there that we are pretty well protected from the wind from the west. But when the wind from the east starts we are in big trouble. Our garden at home has taken a battering. I just wish the rain would stop long enough to go and tidy our garden which we have not put to bed yet.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have kale plants to plant but I need a couple of dry days for sorting-out a suitable bed, it was probably a bad idea to sow seeds so late in the year and now I can't bin them. If they are going to die I'll first give them a chance for survival.

The strong winds have broken gorse bushes that roll around like you see in a western film but it's so warm.

Cattle that are usually taken into barns by now have been put back out to graze because the grass has picked up so quickly. Usually the farmer brings the cattle in when the grazing is depleted then usually it doesn't recover until the end of March.

We all must have saved at least £100 in heating costs this year, even though I make a fire in the early mornings and some evenings the heating has hardly been used. I burnt £150 worth of logs though mostly it's comfortable watching a fire burn rather than the need for heat.
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

Just completed my weather records for November: 213mm rain and still raining - the reservoirs should be well up to their pre-summer level now!

Luckily, the allotment is well drained though rather wind- tattered.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic