Over 60's hair cut rate:)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

I rang a new hairdresser this morning to make an appointment and asked the young girl on the phone the cost of having my washed, cut and blow dried. She said £25.00 :( Then she said "do you work" I said "yes why", she said well if you didn't work you would pay £16. Then I realised she wanted to know how old I was so I could claim the Pensioners rate!! It did make me chuckle as I can't claim my Pension till 2018 but I can now get a reduced hair cut. (I am 62 just) My old hairdresser never asked me my age before and I can only assume I don't look it as she also had a reduced rate for over 60's and I never got it as I didn't know. :lol:

I am going to be more careful in future and see what else I can get. :) (Free prescriptions is one of them)
John
KG Regular

Hi Catherine
I can recommend a clipper cut. A number 4 or 5 would suit you nicely I'm sure. They're only £7 round here! It is all over in 5 minutes as well.
I've heard that OH uses his secateurs to keep his curly locks tidy.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Would you like me to help you across the road....

I hope since you know how cheeky i am Catherine, i can get away with that... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for your kind words, John.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

We have half a dozen hairdressers in our village High Street. I go to the Unisex one every few weeks and get a Pensioners Trim (Monday to Thursday for £13 which I think is about the cheapest for female hair cuts. . One of the others charges £25 and insists on washing it first, which naturally they charge extra for. What a con! The one I go to just sprays your hair with a bottle of water to dampen it down and that works fine.

There are various things the over 60s can get concessions for including various concerts and entertainments, National Trust membership (although they tend to keep this a secret and only give you the lower rate if you ask), local council free bus passes (although our council is reviewing these because of the need for cost reductions). I'll come and post some more if they occur to me but maybe people on here know of others. There is an organisation called Senior Discounts which offers special deals for older people I used to get emails from them with offers but unsubscribed because they never offered deals I was interested in.

Old Herbaceous would probably come round with his range of gardening shears and provide a haircut cheaper than your new hairdresser could provide but you might have to walk around with a sheet over your head for several weeks until it grew again :lol:
Catherine
KG Regular

John, I have wished so many times that I had the nerve to go to a mens barbers to get the cut I wanted. In our village we have approximately 8 or 9 hairdressers in our village. Some of them charge £40 to £50 for a cut and blow dry. I have tried almost all of them and they don't listen to what you want. I come out with nothing like what I wanted . One of the more expensive chaps said to me that I hadn't a clue what would suit me and and then took a pair of thinning scissors all over my head :shock: In our chat to see what I wanted I said I didn't want thinning scissors used because my hair goes fluffy when it grows. :x He said he was an expert!!

Primrose, I have felt like wearing a sheet after some of my hair cuts over the years. I have gone so far as to only have my fringe and back of my hair line cut and they still cant do it properly and still charge a fortune. I don't think I can get my bus pass till I claim my Pension.

OH You could probably do a better job with secateurs than some of the hairdressers I have used in the past. :) Thank you for offeirng to help me across the road :lol: that was really kind of you. I will try not to run you down when I come back from my mountain bike ride. :lol: :lol:
alan refail
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:
I don't think I can get my bus pass till I claim my Pension.

Pension is not the criterion, age is!

Get in there!

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

The definition of an exspert
Ex is something that has been
Spert is a drip under pressure
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It took me a while to get the hang of all the concessions but it certainly softens the blow of being classed as old. And my hair dresser's pensioner price is £8.50 for a well styled cut :)
Geoff
KG Regular

We barter our hair cuts, like quite a few things. Costs us Sweet Pea and Runner Bean plants plus some other cut flowers and spare veg.
Catherine
KG Regular

PP I have never looked at anything at all before so today was a bit of a suprise. I just thought that because I can't have my Pension until 2018 I can't claim anything else so I will now look into other stuff.
Catherine
KG Regular

Geoff I really like that idea. :D Not been over in your direction to walk for some time. Hope to come walking over Christmas weather permitting.
JohnN
KG Regular

Catherine: If you visit a European city make sure you take proof of age with you (Passport) when you go sightseeing. You can get into many State museums, like the Uffizi in Florence, for free if you're over 60.
robo
KG Regular

I'm due a haircut any time in the next few weeks or a beebob as we call it, it won't cost me anything , I bought a hair trimmer about four years ago the next daughter who comes visiting gets the contract
Catherine
KG Regular

I cut my OH's hair with a pair of electric hair trimmers and he colours my hair with some professional hair colours which need mixing and he is really good at it, (and patient with me) :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic