Update from the Techno-Wizards at Mortens Media

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

OK, lets see how digestible you guys find this. :)

1. First it looks like humans may be registering, instead of bots, to bypass the Q+A captcha.
  2. The updated version of PHPBB3 is more secure, as it plugs holes that would allow an attack on the server itself.
  3. From now, any new registrations will be in the 'Newly Registered Users' group and any posts by them will need moderator approval.
  4. The extension 'Stop Forum Spam' has been installed, which is *SUPPOSED* to query an online database for any spam/IP addresses/Registrations that are known spam. It has a sensitivity level that can be adjusted. It *Might* cause some false positives, let's roll with it for a day or two.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Sounds good, Peter. It will prove itself when the spamming stops/slows down.

Thanks to Mortens Wizards.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
dan3008
KG Regular

peter wrote:1. First it looks like humans may be registering, instead of bots, to bypass the Q+A captcha.

Makes sense, the Q&A capture does beat most bots, even the lot of us at Microlise security couldnt write a bot that could reliably beet them...
peter wrote:2. The updated version of PHPBB3 is more secure, as it plugs holes that would allow an attack on the server itself.

Its a LOT more secure. since 2 actually had a gaping hole in in...
peter wrote:4. The extension 'Stop Forum Spam' has been installed, which is *SUPPOSED* to query an online database for any spam/IP addresses/Registrations that are known spam. It has a sensitivity level that can be adjusted. It *Might* cause some false positives, let's roll with it for a day or two.[/list]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Cant give enough love to this fact. Stop Forum Spam is one of the best plugins ever :D Seriously probably the best choice you guys have ever made :D
Just ran into the first "issue" because I tend to post a lot in quick succession, it's just stoped me making a second post "You cannot make another post so soon after your last" lol... Ah well, the curse of being a touch typer and likeing to post little and often
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm glad it hasn't got a, "taking too long setting", as it takes me ages to type a message..... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
dan3008
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I'm glad it hasn't got a, "taking too long setting", as it takes me ages to type a message..... :D

One forum i was on did... I had a post blocked because I was typing, and my wife unexpectedly went into labour... so I left the computer on and went... so it took me 2 days and 5 hours to write the post... lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Dan, it wasn't a "Self delivery forum", was it?.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

I'm impressed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic