Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Our dahlias have gone as well now, Westi, and a sorry sight they look. So that's the next job, weather permitting. It was minus 3 degrees overnight but seems to be warming up now for more rain to come on Monday night.
alan refail
KG Regular

First real frost of the season last night and this morning. Remarkably late even for here.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Very frosty here, terrace steps were lethal, older dog crapped on the verge outside the house and turned back down the drive.

Thankful that yesterday I moved all the winter squash from the greenhouse to the frost free shed. :)
Also split and stored my trailer and a bit load of logs that I'd cut to length the other week.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
dan3008
KG Regular

Nasty frost overnight here... Only good thing that came of it is that it broke up the clay structure in most my beds, so when I ran the cultivator over it after lunch, it broke down to a lovely crumb :-)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Monika
KG Regular

After the strong and icy wind on Saturday (it brought down three large trees around us), it's warmed up but become quite 'raw', not pleasantly cold and dry. All the fuchsias are now in the frost-free garage for the winter, suitably defoliated and cleaned up.
peter
KG Regular

Bleaur, more ruddy rain. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have something to share with you all though I don't expect an explanation.

Some weeks ago when the weather was still warm and dry I sowed Hungarian grazing rye in two spots, one spot is a strip of soil surrounding our back lawn where I usually grow annual flowers and the other spot one of my raised beds. None of grazing rye in the strip of soil has germinated, the grazing rye sown in the raised bed has germinated. Some of the seed was from last year though that isn't the cause because I sowed part new seed and part last years seed where none germinated.

The strip of soil where none germinated gets less sun though we haven't had that much sun since I sowed too consider the raised bed is better drained though the strip is more sheltered from direct wind.

The strip has been worked for a few years now so I consider the soil to be reasonably useful, I add something ever season and it always produces a result.

Last years sowings showed me that grazing rye Germaine's readily and grows quickly without the need for fussing.

It isn't easy, is it ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Could it be that the soil in raised beds is known to be warmer, thereby improving chances of germination

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Another wet and dismal day weather wise that is
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Could it be that the soil in raised beds is known to be warmer, thereby improving chances of germination

This is the only explanation that I can think of, I had loosened the soil in the strip and cleared it of weeds. I assumed that by turning it over and airing it that would help.

Bizarre thing is that it was 100% failure, creeping buttercup is making a show though.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm in the same state today as Richard was a few months back, had to take the dog for her dreaded final trip to the vets. She was about 15 and had suddenly deteriorated; losing weight, appetite and control of her back legs. She has been as fine a friend for these last 10 years (we took her on when some people emigrated) as you could wish for. We got her in early 2006 and I retired in 2007 so we walked many a mile together for a few years, not so much for the last 12 months. She was brought up with young kids so was very gentle and playful. Lots of good memories like when I cut down a sapling Rowan, turned round and it had gone.

P1000928_C_R.jpg
P1000928_C_R.jpg (873.37 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

IMG_1421_R.jpg
IMG_1421_R.jpg (485.78 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
Westi
KG Regular

So sorry to hear about that Geoff! Such hard decision to make. I've been lucky to date that mine have died suddenly - lucky is not the right word for that either.

She looks very happy & obviously had a great life with you!

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

So sorry to hear of your loss. I know it is very difficult to lose a pet. She looks a very beautiful, loyal dog.

We are really behind with preparing our beds on the allotment for winter. Everytime we have a few spare hours it is literally hosing down. We haven't even managed to put our back garden to bed yet. An my OH is putting a new multifuel stove in to the lounge at the weekend, so we wont be working in the garden again (but we are promised more rain over the weekend)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff, we know just how you feel. Another trusted friend who will now be waiting at Rainbow Bridge

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

So sorry Geoff. Know what a big void she will leave behind. Hope it will be a consolation to you that you did the best for her right up to the end.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic