Your Challenge for 2016?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I've tried to grow nice celery - constant disappointment, sweet potatoes - one pretty good year but not good size & slips this year didn't take, cauliflower - it's all down to the magic time to harvest which I procrastinate about each time & miss the window.

I'm undecided to date but wavering toward growing decent Pak Choi! Flea beetles, snails, slugs seem to love them & they always have mushy outer leaves & are quite mini sized, worse even if you have to peel outer leaves off. After that would be Basil - always minuscule as well & leaves quite tough!

What is your challenge then??

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

for me, my challenge is to grow willow... I'm fed up of bamboo canes, there nice, but I keep braking them, or this year, some kind of grub had destroyed my entire stock of canes :( So I've decided, this year, nothing that needs supports, but to get willow growing for next year :D
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
peter
KG Regular

Not on my site, but, we had one basket weaving plot holder.

When they gave up their plot was useless, edge to edge osier with stumps and roots everywhere. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
dan3008
KG Regular

peter wrote:Not on my item, but, we had one basket weaving plot holder.

When they gave up their plot was useless, edge to edge osier with stumps and roots everywhere. :?

depends on the type of willow you grow :) I've found a place selling some shallow root stuff, and i'm growing it in a corner of my garden thats a bit of an odd shape (the path kind of cuts it into a diamond type shape) so there is little chance of it causing me too much trouble :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Stephen
KG Regular

Well, I haven't thought about this yet. The big challenge is to make sure that I am working on the rainy days and that the sun shines on those I am not booked!
I haven't tried sweet potatoes but have talked about trying them. So they are high on my list.
Certainly the shed base needs attention.
I could make quite a long list I think.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Diane
KG Regular

My biggest challenge, next year, will be to limit the number of tomato plants to fit the available sensible space in my greenhouse and not, as every year before, to yield to the temptation to just tuck a couple or three more in the spaces and then wonder why it all turns into a tomato jungle :oops:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Mine also relates partly to tomatoes, but to resist the challenge of growing too many new varieties which turn out to be disappointing, and to stick with my trusty favourites . And as always, not to sow them for outdoor growing too soon.

Also not to be too greedy in trying to grow as much as possible on my limited growing space and not to pack plants in so tightly that none of them thrive as well as they should.

And finally, Not to grow any chillies next year. I enjoy growing them them because they're decorative plants as the fruits change from green to orange to red but I have so many chillies in the freezer waiting to be processed into chilli paste that we almost have a lifetime's supply!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic