Pale carrots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I know there are some very pale varieties of carrots but some of our carrots this year (Amsterdam 3 and Autumn King 2) are really pale and look 'sickly' though they are a decent size and taste perfectly ok. Some are normal carrot-colour inside but appear to have white spots on the outside. Any idea whether it is a mineral deficiency or something like that?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika

I have had that happen with carrots as well.

I think the odd rogue seed or two (ok, maybe 3 or more even :) ) sometimes gets into the packet.
I have just pulled Boltardy beetroot and 3 were completely White and had a totally different leaf. Taste was quite normal and do not think they were a mutation.

They certainly did not originate as 'volunteers' from any I have grown in the past.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, i think it may have been an odd seed or two from a different variety creeping into a packet by mistake or being put into a wrongly labelled packet?. I don,t know how the seedsmen fill their packets, ie manually or by machine but most seeds are so small that there,s always a chance of an odd one or two creeping in by mistake or a wrongly labelled packet being used.

Last year I think I had a Chiogga beetroot in with my Bolthardy and occasionally Ii've had a different tomato seed crop up from seeds sown from the same packet. I suppose it,s these odd little quirks which ensure gardening is always full of surprises. My oddest one which I sowed as a melon turned out to be an unrecognised variety of winter squash.

I suppose if you were an inexperienced seed packet filler and had several seeds from squashes and melons on the bench in front of you, you wouldn,t necessarily be able to spot the differences between the species. I,ve had the odd embarrassing incident of getting Dried climbing and Dwarf French seeds mixed up. Some are of different colours of course, but if they're all white varieties, you're jiggered if you accidentally transplant a climber into your dwarf row !
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose and PaSnip, the rogue seed/variety never occurred to me. That would put my mind at rest!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic