In celebration of tomatoes!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi All. Following our feature in the August issue 'How Do I use All These Courgettes' to which many of you contributed with recipes and advice, we'd like to do a similar thing with tomatoes. This would appear in the October issue (out early September).

So if anyone has any family recipes, preserves, ideas for storing tomatoes, anecdotes, favourite varieties etc, please do let us know and we'll use as many in the feature as we can.

Hoping you manage to keep dry this weekend (still, no watering for a change! :D ). All the best, Steve
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Monika
KG Regular

Captain Carrot, I am going to put my thinking cap on about the tomatoes, but just to put the record straight: plenty of watering to be done here - not a drop of rain today or yesterday! And none expected tomorrow, they say.
alan refail
KG Regular

Betteravestomates1.JPG
Betteravestomates1.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Many more years ago than I care to remember we were in the south of France. One night we booked into a hotel/guest house/restaurant. In those days the dinner was not from a menu but what they had cooked. When I asked what there was I was told trout, roast pork. We chose the roast pork. After a fantastic dish of local trout we had the roast pork! I must have misheard truite et roti de porc as truite ou roti de porc :oops:

What we mostly remember from that meal (probably less than 10 francs per person) was the accompaniment of beetroot salad. Ever since we have never seen the recipe in any book, English or French. Just eaten it again for lunch today. Here's the recipe - give it a try.

About one cooked beetroot per person
The same amount or less of ripe tomatoes
Garlic - as much or as little as you like
Virgin olive oil
Wine vinegar
Parsley

Dice the beetroot and tomatoes into 1-2 cm cubes
Chop garlic
Mix all together with a good lot of olive oil and about a tenth the amount of wine vinegar
Mix together and leave to marinate for as long as you like
Serve topped with a generous amount of chopped parsley
Attachments
Betteravestomates2.JPG
Betteravestomates2.JPG (38.65 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Last edited by alan refail on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

If, like us, you find green tomato chutney a bit boring and more a matter of “making the best of a bad job” at the end of a poor tomato season, try this one which we have adapted from Nick Sandon and Johnny Acton’s book Preserved. We make it every year and it gives green tomato chutney a whole new dimension.

GRILLED GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY

500 g green tomatoes
275 ml cider or white wine vinegar
50 ml balsamic vinegar
125 g muscovado sugar
100 g dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2.5 cm lump of ginger roughly sliced
2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
2 teaspoons of Szechwan or black pepper
2 medium dried chilis
10 fresh sage leaves
a couple of sprigs of rosemary
a couple of sprigs each of thyme and oregano
1 medium onion chopped
500 g apples peeled and chopped

Slice the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil, then place on a very hot griddle pan until browned but still firm and uncooked.
Heat the vinegars in a pan and add the sugars, stirring till dissolved.
Put the ginger, mustard seeds, pepper and chilis into a muslin spice bag.
Chop the char-grilled tomatoes and put into a pan with the rest of the ingredients.
Simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is your desired consistency.

Pour into sterilised jars with non- metal lids. The amounts above are enough for 3-4 medium jars.

Store in a dark place for at least 3 months.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

CARROT AND TOMATO SOUP

Extremely easy, quick and tasty

1 small onion
225g carrots
225g tomatoes
½ litre weak vegetable stock
Salt, pepper and bayleaf

Soften the chopped onion in olive oil and butter
Add chopped tomatoes and carrots
Add stock and bayleaf

Simmer for twenty minutes then blitz in the blender
Reheat and season to taste
Primrose
KG Regular

Oven dried herby tomatoes (which cost a fraction of those bought from the supermarket delicatessen)

Cherry or smallish tomatoes
Salt, pepper
Oregano. (Fresh or dried)
Oive oil

Lightly grease large flat oven tray
Cut tomatoes into halves and place on tray open side upwards.
Lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried organo or finely chopped fresh leaves and the tiniest drizzle of olive oil
Dry in low oven for about two hours (or more) until most of the moisture has disappeared and the tomatoes look slightly leathery. This really concentrates the flavour of the tomatoes.

When cool store in small containers in fridge. You can cover with olive oil and store containers in freezer. The oil will congeal and thicken but thaw though when defrosted. Keep refeigerated and eat within a week.
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
KG Regular

It would be nice to have some Tomatoes actually ripening to inspire a reply. Favourite variety at the moment Bloody Butcher - at least it is just about keeping us in lunches, but it is good as well.
Rain very localised here - wherever I put the sprinkler!
Primrose
KG Regular

My outdoor bush tomatoes are ripening now but they're always ahead of the cordons, so help to extend the season.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was very late sowing my tomatoes this year and have picked the first ripe ones this week. What a treat. I had forgotten how much more flavour they have than even the best shop ones.

When and if I get too many to use I cook and sieve them and store them in take away size containers in the freezer so they are ready for soups, stews etc all winter.
robo
KG Regular

Last year i froze about 70 tomatoes, in packs of 6, they are no good for salads but for cooking with a knob of butter then poured on to a couple of rounds of toast for breakfast in the middle of winter takes some beating
alan refail
KG Regular

Back to the recipes.

Warm tomato salad
One of my weekend inventions to use up a late crop of tomatoes; something different from just eating them cold.

Cherry tomatoes (Gardener's Delight/Sungold) halved
Medium sized red tomatoes sliced
Garlic
Basil
Extra virgin olive oil

Slice garlic thinly
Warm in olive oil
Add tomatoes and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until soft but still whole
Add chopped basil
Allow to cool for a few minutes
Eat warm with hot or cold meat or anything you like.

A tasty addition is some rounds of crispy fried chorizo. This sort, not the thin ready sliced.

KG Steve
KG Editor

Wow thanks folks! Great response over the weekend. Keep em' coming! Yes I've yet to find a red tom, even in the greenhouse although a few are turning. I'll need some of those recipes myself when they do finally ripen.

Sorry Monika & Geoff - poured all day here yesterday. Doing my best to send some your way! :)
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

I made Alan's tomato and carrot soup today - delicious! Thanks Alan, I'm going to keep that recipe - I'm sure it'll be used time and time again.
Catherine
KG Regular

Alan, we do a similar recipe for our breakfast but add balsamic vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar and put it on brown bread toast.

Tonight I made tomatoes with feta and broad beans.

Cut toms in half and start to fry gently in olive oil till starting to break down then add cooked broad beans and cubed feta cheese, once the cheese starts to break down remove from the heat. Add pepper but no salt. We have had this tonight with a pork, choritzo and fennel casserole and a few new potatoes from our allotment. Absolutely delish.
alan refail
KG Regular

Good to see that the forum has made a big contribution to the October issue, pages 70 to 73.
Pleased to see the contributions we made: Primrose, robo, Catherine, Plumpudding and me :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic