Squirrels - Help!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Can anyone help with a fool proof method, (not a shot gun) of keeping squirrels from eating carrots already protected with vegi-mesh? They are attacking all carrots grown on our site, munching their way through and leaving the green tops. For me they entered one side of the frame had their fill and left the other side leaving their crumbs behind.

My entire summer crop has now been devoured. I have re sown but whether there is time enough before the winter sets in for a crop I don't know.

Many thanks
Beryl.
Attachments
image043.jpg
image043.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Monika
KG Regular

Beryl, I have no experience with squirrels but I did ask on the Forum not so long ago whether the (natural) spray 'Grazers' is any good against pests. Clive gave some especially helpful answers. No may like to look at those or send him a PM.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

This may sound silly but I hung a realistic looking rubber snake in the hazelnut tree and the squirrels didn't go near it a couple of years ago. Don't know if it would keep them off carrots. You could just hit them with it if they came within range:)
Sometimes it feels like a battle with nature. Aren't the little darlings resourceful.
Beryl
KG Regular

Monica I did look up Grazers and couldn't find any mention of squirrels but it sent me on a search and I found Mouse had posted a similar question about beetroot being eaten and everyone thought it could be rats.
We do have the occasional rat but usually the foxes see to those but it could well be, the whole carrot is being eaten but just how many pounds of carrots can a few rats eat? the squirrels yes, we have a large population and this is happening at other allotment sites here to. Many are convinced it's the badgers but the holes they get through are far too small for a badger.

Too late for this year but we will have to come up with some form of protection for next year if we are to keep our crop.

Plumpudding you made me smile. We have huge oak trees on one side of the allotment, how many rubber snakes would we need? Nice idea tho'

Beryl.
Geoff
KG Regular

Well I came up from the garden and went to have a look how the last bit of my crazy paving repointing marathon was looking and there was a squirrel on the bird feeders. Made no attempt to go while I collected the air rifle so it won't be back. Then I came in and found this thread!
Pleased with the pointing. We had a pergola across about a third of this area until it collapsed in the snow two years ago. Last year I demolished it all but kept the Rambling Rector. This year I finally built a new frame for it and it has rewarded us with this show, I guess it used to flower quite well on the top of the pergola but we couldn't see it properly but it likes this South facing frame.
Attachments
IMG_3446_RR.jpg
IMG_3446_RR.jpg (208.6 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was thinking you could put the snake in the carrot bed :D I've got an image of them dangling from your oak trees now. I took mine down after my neighbour asked about it. Their grandmother was child minding and had spent the afternoon watching it to see whether it moved! It does look quite realistic. It might be a bit late for another crop this year though.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have just sown another two rows of carrots, (actually i sowed them monday afternoon and they are popping through already) I did this last year protected them with fleece and were eating lovely clean carrots into the new year. I am going to use enviromesh over them this year....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

That's reassuring OH. Hope mine germinate as quick, it does say on the packet sow up to end of July. They are under enviromesh with netting on top weighted with bricks. Will that keep the b.....s out?

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic