Apple tree pest

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alysonh56
KG Regular

Not the clearest of pictures, but my little apple tree (not sure what kind) is covered in this web stuff. Looks slightly silvery and mouldy especially round the newly growing fruit. Can anyone tell me what it is and more importantly how best to deal with it? Thanks
Attachments
20150621_122549_edited-1.jpg
20150621_122549_edited-1.jpg (663.67 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Geoff
KG Regular

I've always thought it is just spiders and not a problem but it could be something more sinister.
John
KG Regular

Hello a56
This looks like an infestation of wooly aphid.
This is not easy to deal with as the cunning little critters cover themselves with a white 'wool' and most treatments just run off.
If your tree is small you could try rubbing them off, wiping with cotton wool soaked in meths or flush them off with a pressure spray. This will help to control the problem but won't get rid of them entirely.
Larger trees seem to be able to cope with the problem.
Seems to be a bad year for aphids.
Hope this helps.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, definitely woolly aphid, I have successfully treated a tree in the past with meths, but I used a tooth brush. You do have to be vigilant and keep at it as John says, it tends to reappear particularly where you have made any cuts so I would say don't prune unless you really have to. It will come back for several years now. Really badly infested trees should be cut down and burnt.

Beryl.
alysonh56
KG Regular

Thanks folks - I'll try the meths.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic