BACON

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Being partial to streaky bacon, picked some up yesterday whilst shopping with the Memsahib. Then I noticed it was dearer than best back. How come !!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Trendy?

I like a bit of smoked back myself, or for a real treat the local butcher's smoked dry cure.
Primrose
KG Regular

Perhaps some trendy tv chef has recently come up with sone tv recipes for streaky bacon so it,s the latest "must have" on everybody's culinary shopping list.
Elaine
KG Regular

That was my first thought too Primrose.
Streaky bacon used to be the cheapest cut didn't it? I may be wrong...

I'm amazed at the price of things which used to be so cheap but are now highly priced...Corned Beef for instance. Chicken used to be very reasonably priced...I remember years ago, buying a chicken if I was too skint to afford a decent joint of beef. Not so nowadays.
Happy with my lot
alan refail
KG Regular

Barring special offers, streaky is always the cheapest and back the dearest, with middle in between.
Shallot Man - did you check the price per kilo on the packs?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Elaine if you have beef cheaper than chicken you're very lucky.
Sainsbury frequently has whole chickens in their 3 for £10 offer.
Beef for under a tenner is either the size of a normal corned beef tin or best before now and consequently reduced.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Elaine
KG Regular

Peter, I didn't mean todays' beef was cheaper than the chicken. I was just using that as an example from a long time ago....chicken was a cheaper alternative to a decent beef joint.
Chicken is still cheaper but Asda/Morrisons sells a medium one for around £6 and it used to be a lot less than that years ago....but I suppose that applies to most things if I'm being sensible about it. Maybe it's an age thing, now I'm over 60. :roll: :lol:
Happy with my lot
Redfox
KG Regular

I buy dry cured back bacon from the local butchers, it's their own bacon and very nice it is too. Price wise it's no dearer than the supermarket and no added water :)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

alan refail. I have a phobia for checking the unit price, drives the Memsahib mad.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

On a similar theme. Why is oxtail [50% bone !} dearer than stewing steak [100% meat] :? :?
Beryl
KG Regular

Surely streaky is used to wrap round sausages to go round the turkey , isn't that why it is more expensive this time of the year? People just pick it up without even checking the price because they want it.

Beryl.
alan refail
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:On a similar theme. Why is oxtail [50% bone !} dearer than stewing steak [100% meat] :? :?

If you want to make an oxtail recipe , as I do regularly, stewing steak is not the thing to use. You pay for what you need!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coda_alla_vaccinara
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Oxtail makes a luscious stew because it's got the bone, lot of flavour in there. Cook once, cool and skim off some fat then cook again. Shin of beef makes a better slow cook dish as the connective tissues breakdown after about 2-3 hours of cooking and impart a thickness and flavour to the dish that you don't get from trimmed meat.

I will concede that oxtail is 'trending' at the moment though!

MW
alan refail
KG Regular

...and there is but one tail to the "ox", whereas there are many kilos of other cuts.
Primrose
KG Regular

I dread cheap cuts of meat becoming popular and being promoted by TV chefs because that immediately means that their price doubles. I can remember when hardly anybody would buy a belly of pork joint or pork strips, but now slow roast belly of pork has become a "cheffy" recipe, the price has become much more expensive.
I haven't forgotten what happened years ago when Delia Smith recommended cranberries !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic