Today I have been mostly.........

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Compo
KG Regular

Today I have been mostly......modifying some metal grid pallet sides to support my peas, digging up the old psb plants and rotvating for the next crop (not sure what I will put in there though? Sewing some more sprouts seeds in modules, watering weeding and getting over a large curry and several pints the night before, gardening really is a great cure for excesses.

The temperature here today has been 20c and really quite sunny, the day ending with a few light showers, how much we need some rain in the SW.

What have you mostly been doing down your way?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
nog
KG Regular

I have mostly been in the greenhouses potting up all the veg into bigger pots to give them a chance against the slugs
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Mostly at work but bagged three hours on the plot planting out with Mrs P shallots from seed, onions from seed and flowers.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Zena
KG Regular

Not much over this way - drizzly this morning & expecting visitors this afternoon! In between, spent a lot of time staring in amazement at the spuds, onions,peas & marrows - I can't believe things are actually growing! Willing on the carrots which are just peeking through & trying to work out how to thin the turnips (atleast, I'm fairly sure they're turnips)also, gave in & went to the garden centre to buy some Glyphosate - It's me or the bindweed!! :twisted:
peter
KG Regular

At a hockey tournament with my daughter, who was nearly unrecognisable as she was the goalie, somewhere under all that padding and protection was a ten year old. Her club won their division of the day. :D

Gardenwise I have had an iteresting weekend. :?

Re-sprayed the couch and bindweed on plot 18 on Friday night. Also mowed all the between the plots paths on site.

What started out as a brief Saturday expedition with a friend to see how difficult a 16 by 8 greenhouse would be to dismantle, turned into an all dayer as it came apart lovely. So we totally dismantled it, packed most of it in my trailer, took it home as the rain started, had a meal, went back packed the rest in the trailer, took it home, took my friend back to his home at 9:15, went back sans trailer and put the 12 foot lengths in the car via the ski hatch with an LED cyclist clip-on light on the end.

So post hockey I started to assemble the frame at home. The 16 is a 12 + 4, I am discarding the extension as it won't fit. I did well before it got too dark. All four walls are up and connected and the ridge is in, as is the built-in staging down one side. Just the roof rails to add now and the frame will be complete. Will order some sleepers to make the base during the week.

But the best bit is, we did not break even one piece of glass. :? :shock: :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
What Rain?!!!! I thought that Essex never got any rain!! Wonderful day here full of sunshine all day.
As this is the best day/weekend of the year for birdwatching I was up at 3am and off down the plot for the dawn chorus. Wonderful!! Home by 7.30am and spent the rest of the day watching things grow.
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

Sunshine here all day too!

Transplanted 600 strawberries to their new homes.

Potted up a few lovely's in anticipation of Malvern next weekend.

Sorted out my neighbours - tomato plants, cucumbers, compost, large pots.......
peter
KG Regular

Johnboy, I wouldn't know about that being all of half a mile inside Hertfordshire! :twisted:

It was welcome though, allotment was looking like it does in August! :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
Last year I was down in your neck of the wood to a Hotel out from Bishops Stortford. The Hotel was directly under the glide path of Stanstead and was the old family home of R A Butler the Tory politician.
About every 30 seconds an Easy Jet went over head. I could not get away from there quick enough. To think that it is going to get worse rather than better fills me with total horror.
Living in the sticks has its compensations. We get very low flying military jets and rucks of Hercules on low flying exercises and we have a private airfield 6 miles away but that is nothing by comparison to Stanstead.
JB.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

Today was mostly sunny with the odd shower here and there. Fairly warm and pleasent.

Took Chiefie for his favourite walk in Croxteth where he found several bunnies and a few squirrls for him to play with!!! He never catches them but they give him a good run for his money. He then played Pooh Sticks in the River Alt and Hide and Seek (yep, my dog plays hide and seek.) He then found some kids playing football and they were made up cos Chiefie likes to be the goalie :lol:

Came back, had a swift cuppa then off down the plot. Met my new neighbours opposite who are really nice. I potted on some Evesham Special sprouts and some All Year Round Caulis. Gave the rest to new neighbours as they hadn't planted anything yet. Found some bindweed that had appeared from nowhere so waged war on that, pulling out as I went, shouting "die, die you horrible plant" Got funny looks from new neighbours. Can't think why? :roll:

Then, off to mums for a family buffet for Mums birthday and home. Quiet a nice day in all
Lots of love

Lizzie
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
It's crept on to Monday...so Yesterday....I was mainly trying not to get soaked....brilliant drop of rain though...it eventually fined up late afternoon at which point I completed the weld/shaft repair of a friends spade...it had arrived in 2 pieces..!!
Can hardly see the join now.. :wink:

Later it was fine enough to dig up the last of the PSB.. and fork over the lovely deep fluffy ground... for a late parsnip set.

Saturday was much busier day... car boot in the morning...visited due to its alledged ability to shift recently nicked tools..(ours too perhaps?) but didn't see them this week.!!
Early Onward and Radio Peas sticked, Tomatoes tied up, last of the Potatoes planted..some Lady Christl that I have been holding back to hopefully give a continuation of new..
Bit of writing sent to Romania to hopefully help with a Norlett tiller and a couple of X300 flame gun writings made....
Then spent a frustrating time searching the garage/shed for my welding visor.

All the best,
Clive.
Last edited by Clive. on Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal
KG Regular

Yesterday it rained. All morning and almost all of the afternoon, so by the time it stopped in the early evening it was too wet to go near the lottie anywa; especially as the rain had continued from Saturday lunchtime! :(

So, apart from watching Apollo 13 (again) on TV and my Italian homework and revision, I watered my greenhouses. I'm not very thrilled at going back to work today with so little gardening done over the weekend, but hey, it looks like the rain is about to start again, so why care. :(
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Deb P
KG Regular

Typical. I have been on a course all weekend and the sun shines, gardening withdrawal symptoms+++++. Now I have one day off, and it pours. Ho hum, will have to make do with buying lots of growbags to transplant the toms into....
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Hmmm, busy weekend, mainly due to having my parents to stay and attending the 75th anniversary of the Lewes and Ringmer District Young Farmers diner dance. My family were founding members and are still very much involved. The evening saw about 30 of my family there spread over 4 generations, some of which I have never met.

On the gardening front I re-roofed the lean too at the allotment as the felt was getting past it’s best, good job as the rain on Saturday PM/evening meant I collected about 50 litres of water from it. I also managed to do some work in the greenhouse on the plot, planting out some tomatoes into the board and pricking out some seedlings. I also cut the lawns at the plot and home, just before the heavens opened!

Sunday dawned much better but it was a late morning due to getting home at 2 am. I bit of fiddling around in the greenhouse at home, mainly potting up aubergines and tomatoes and pulling together a collection of stuff for mum and dad to take home, rudbeckia, delphinium, dahlia, tomatoes (Marmande, Ferline, Sungold, San Marzona and Gardeners Delight) and aubergine.

After lunch we headed over to Sheffield Park to wander around the gardens, the sun was out and it was very warm. Lovely walk around the lakes with the rhoddo’s and azaleas just coming out into flower.

Last night the rain came back along with thunder and hail so the new roof collected even more water!

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
seedling
KG Regular

Well its still raining in Rugby. No gardening at the weekend and today, when I`m not working, its chucking it down again :cry: Decorating my bedroom at the moment so I can get on with the glossing but I`d rather be at the allotment. Maybe tomorrow will be dry and I can escape up there for an hour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic