Tomatoes - the hunt goes on!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

I think there's probably a debate every year about best-flavoured tomatoes - and still I continue to look for a good flavoured large, slicing tomato. Possibly in vain. This year I've grown Burpee Delicious and Rose de Berne. Burpee is a very good looking, large tomato (I believe it holds the world record for largest tomato), but I find it almost tasteless. Rose de Berne is a bit better, but seems to split easily. Has anyone made any new, tasty discoveries this season?
Westi
KG Regular

The tastiest one I'm growing this year is Gigante Liscio which is described as a salad tomato. It is very fleshy, not watery at all and holds it's seeds in place when sliced instead of them oozing away in a watery slush.

The first ones ready were a bit weird where 3 or so tomatoes morphed together so were really big & oddly shaped but that is not happening with the later ones.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Afraid I haven't got any suggestions as I haven't been very experimental this year, only Ferline, Gardener's Delight, Ildi and Sungold plus two plants growing from seeds of a nice Waitrose largish plum salad tomato eaten last year but they are nowhere near ripe yet. So far, from my few ripe cordon tomatoes Sungold comes first with Gardener's Delight second. Ildi and Ferline tomatoes rather lacklustre in flavour.
robo
KG Regular

The wife is growing lemon bush ones they are a small yellow and full of flavour im growing money maker I find them hard to beat
Monika
KG Regular

I have tried a few in the past, especially from free seeds on magazines, but I always come back to Gardeners Delight. We are eating them now - masses of fruit this year and very tasty.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My favourite large slicing tomato is Double Rich it comes true from saved seed and is a lovely fleshy tasty tomato with few seeds. I save some from the best plant every year to keep a good healthy strain.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,

Re-Double Rich tomato
Might I ask were you can buy them from please :)

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Send me your address and I'll send you a few. I got them from someone on here a few years ago in the seed swap. I don't think she posts any more.

They don't have many seeds, but if you like it you can save your own as they always come true.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding :D

Thank you very much :I will PM you my address :)

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Beryl
KG Regular

My favourite this year is Fandango, which should be renamed 'Fantastic Fandango'. Some are weighing in at 3 quarters of a pound each. Superb flavour, good for slicing and cooking. With an added bonus of being blight resistant. All so far have ripened evenly to. Far better than Ferline.

Beryl.
retropants
KG Regular

Fandango sound great beryl. Which supplier did you get them from please? :)
Beryl
KG Regular

I purchased through the Allotment Assoc. but they are available in their catalogue or on line.

http://www.kingsseeds.com/vegetable_see ... F1/P-18181

Beryl.
retropants
KG Regular

Brilliant, thank you beryl!
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Green Grape is the best I've ever eaten. It's just as well the flavour's good because it's not an easy variety to grow, it's sprawling and does not crop heavily, is susceptible to blight. The fruits are, of course, green but don't let that put you off. Tibet-Appel, a Dutch variety, comes close second and at least you get red fruits on plants which are robust and can be grown as a cordon. I haven't grown either of these for many years and some hunting may be required to obtain seed.

Of varieties which are readily available, Sungold is consistently delicious, so is Gardener's Delight but it does not crop heavily, unlike Sweet Million which is nearly as tasty but bountiful. Alicante was the variety my grandma used to grow. Perhaps it's nostalgia that makes me remember it as being particularly tasty, it may also have been down to how she grew them, which is always an important point to consider when it comes to flavour in tomatoes.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think you are right Felix - it's what you grow them in. I use a soil, leaf mould and sand home made compost with FBB and potash as fertiliser with a bit of lime. Everybody we give them to says they are not looking forward to going back to shop bought. We like Sungold, Black Cherry, Bloody Butcher and Caspian Pink.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic