I love most vegetables, but I just can't stand.....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

I reckon in my time I've tried growing and eating most vegetables, though as age creeps on I am very selective in what I grow.
I was intrigued by the thread on the merits of various runner bean cultivars. If there's one thing I cannot face it's runner beans! They are coarse in texture and taste and I have only ever grown them because the smell ( :( ) reminds my wife of childhood holidays in Devon. Now French beans are an altogether different matter! Ever wonder why the French don't relish runners?
Actually there's another hate on my list: parsnips, about which the least said the better :evil:

Do any others have pet veg hates? Or should I get my coat now?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

I have grown runner beans this year for the first time as we have never rated them , I read about a new one on the market and thought I'd give it a go,(cant remember the name of them) ive only planted about 20 but have had loads off them , I find you have to pick them when they are around 5 inches long otherwise they are hard going , but still not a patch on french beans
peter
KG Regular

I agree with you on runner beans, but not parsnips which I adore roasted. :D

Tomato ketchup, tinned cream of tomato soup, puree - pasata - finely chopped - all three as contributors to a sauce, yes delicious.

Raw or cooked recognisable tomato, yuk vile.

Yes I know, I'm odd. :oops:

I blame Herts CC Primary School catering.
Boiled plum tomatoes in watery liquid, with lumpy mash and cardboard liver in flaky gravy
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Salsify, florrence fennel and globe artichokes are the vegetables i just can not get to grips with.

But a plate of the tenderest runner beans are to die for. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Raw tomatoes do not do it for me either. I wish I liked them, but I just cannot abide the taste! Not overly keen on courgettes, I use them as a filler to bulk up other things.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hate Florence Fennel and leaf Coriander. Not too keen on squashes. Only like butternut in a soup. Turnips don't do it for me either.

Adore runner beans... well, :D any beans!
Adore tomatoes in any shape or form.

MW
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't like sweet vegetables - parsnip, squash, apple sauce.
Diane
KG Regular

Coriander....yuk and double yuk !
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well I am surprised that some do not like all vegetables, I've been on this planet for a good number of years and can not think of any fruit or vegetable (or any natural food) that I do not like.

I especially like runner beans but as with all beans they should be picked when young and eaten when fresh, there is nothing worst than a stringy/ beany bean.

Keep eating and drinking - it's good for you.

Barney
Primrose
KG Regular

I blame school dinners for a lot of people hating vegetables, where they were almost always boiled to extinction and served as a meal filler rather than a food to be enjoyed in its own right.

The only vegetable I really don't like is green calabrese and I really have no logic for my dislike as I enjoy cauliflower which is more or less a white version of it, and I like purple sprouting broccoli, which is also not too dissimilar.

I can understand many people disliking runner beans. They're almost always picked too large when all the tenderness has grown out of them. Picked young they are delicious but I agree that French beans have the edge.

My mother-in-law often used to put the vegetables onto a slow simmer when the Christmas turkey still had an hour to run, so I had a hard time converting my husband to al dente vegetables. Now he complains if the French beans are not quite squeaky enough!

But mashed swede? Yuk. But nice slices of swede with a knob of butter and some black pepper.... well that's another dish entirely !
Last edited by Primrose on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I also dislike runner beans and is why I've been growing French bush and now French climbing though I'm convinced by enthusiasts that it's all about selecting the right type and harvesting at the right time.

I'll give it a go next year.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

I just love apples, mainly when they are made into cider
Monika
KG Regular

I think I have to go with Cider Boys: I really like all vegetables and runner beans especially. Steamed kale, nicely chopped, with a little salt and pepper and just a minimal dot of butter is probably my favourite.

My OH just walked in on this question and he says he can't stand sweetcorn, but as we can't grow sweetcorn up here anyway, it's of little concern to him!
Elaine
KG Regular

Celeriac....shudder
Celery..... cringe
Not too keen on swede or turnip on their own but in stews and casseroles etc,. I don't mind it.

I love young, tender Runner beans and my very favourite vegetables are Brussels Sprouts. I'll eat most anything else really.
Happy with my lot
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Chicory is horrible but I can't think of anything else that I don't like. The best thing about growing your own is being able to choose the varieties which you find taste the best and picking them when they are young and tender.

Monika, have you tried growing Lark sweetcorn, it is a fairly short quick growing variety of tendersweet that always does well for me here at the foot of the Pennines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic