What's the bird?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sandyback
KG Regular

Just let it go to voice mail 8)
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Motherwoman,

I suspect that your bird is a Chough. We have them on the sea cliffs and they frequent the fields (on top of the cliffs)particularly where horses are kept. They look like a crow with bright orange/red bills and legs and make just the noise you describe.
Regards,
Gerry.
Sandyback
KG Regular

I thought it had already been identified as a Little Owl :)
Gerry
KG Regular

Just thought it was another option, particularly as Motherwoman is on the Isle of Wight.
Gerry.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Never seen a Chough in the area but I'll find a recording and have a listen.

Otherhalf had a first though at the weekend, he spotted and took a picture of a red kite over the island. First we've seen here.

MW
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Not a chough, call of the chough is coarser, raspier than the call I'm hearing, but I can see where you're coming from!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Motherwoman,
I might suggest that you also listen to a male Partridge if you can.
We have quite a few locally and the cock bird calls his females at dusk and they group in circles facing outwards and one wonders what could pass such a huge dropping. (It took me years to work that one out.)
Little Owls, call during the daytime as do Tawny Owls quite frequently.
I have a tunnel, that in my absence, the Tawny' Owls have been using as a roost and there are many many pellets that they disgorge whilst at roost.
JB.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,

Percy the Partridge wanders round the garden and I'm familiar with his call. He also jugs with some others under my washingline so I know what you mean about the 'doings'!

I have a kestrel that roosts on an old thatch hook up on the gable end of the house and he poops all down my windows and drops regurgitated pellets into my window box... :(

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic