Swiss Chard and Green Bean Soup - Recipe

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

adam-alexander
KG Regular

Ideal for using up the chard and beans that have gone mad!!

To serve 2

1 small onion chopped
a small garlic clove chopped
Olive oil
1/4 tsp roast and ground cumin seed
about 1/2 lb Swiss chard, or spinach or a mixture of both, chop stalks and roughly shred leaves.
3-4oz green beans, French, runners or broad beans or shelled peas or a mixture of any of them - strip any strings off the French or runner beans and chop into 1" pieces.
chopped mint or dill leaves
3/4 pt veg. stock.

Heat the oil in a pan, sweat the onion, garlic and ground cumin for a few minutes, add the chard, beans, mint and the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until all soft.

Cool slightly, then process in a blender until very smooth. Return to the pan and reheat.

Serve in warm soup plates, garnish with some olive oil and lemon juice whisked together, a dusting of nutmeg and slivers of Parmesan cheese. Some warm ciabattas, crusty rolls or good bread goes well with this.
Marigold
KG Regular

Rescuing rainbow chard the invading cattle trampled and ditto beans so may try this with some small adaptations... Thank you.
Elton
KG Regular

Good one recipe to make Swiss chard and green beans soup.
It's new for me, I never tried it. Now I have to try it to taste something new. Thanks for sharing it.
Last edited by Elton on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Prowse Personal Trainer,
2/539 High Street Maitland,
New South Wales 2320, Australia
Westi
KG Regular

Glad you resurrected this - my Swiss chard got a bit of mildew & was looking sad but now got new growth due to mild weather so got rid of the worst of the bad leaves & had a wonderful clean harvest - will have to buy the beans though! :(

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic