tiller

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

Hi all, ive bought a generator so that I can use some of my power tools down on my plot,
I have been considering buying a small tiller but as I have the power available I am thinking about a electric tiller has anyone used one and are they any good
robo
KG Regular

I asked the question but did not get a responce so I guess nobody has tried one, I found a couple on amazon , after reading all the feedback on 2 machines in particular I decided to invest in a small HANDY one, I ordered it yesterday after a week of should I or should I not , it arrived half an hour ago, it looks the part , the feed back on it is good and for £64 if it is a waste of time it will not break the bank , will let you all know how it performs
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Robo, sorry you got no replies, but it certainly would be helpful if you can report back.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hope it does the business for you Robo. Word of warning, don't leave a generator on the allotment, thieves love 'em!

MW
robo
KG Regular

Hi Motherwoman, I know leaving things in a shed on an allotment is not the cleverest thing to do, and our allotment is in the roughest part of town, but the only thing thats gone missing in the 12 months ive been on there is a row of my spuds and I found the culprit who apologised profusely under the threat of having his fingers broken, all the plot users leave allsorts in their sheds and nothing gets touched, we do have a high secure fence all round with strong locks on the gates and the generator is to heavy to cart back and forth I can only take the chance and it was cheap on ebay
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Robo, i think your offer to the potato thief was very generous, :)
But all joking apart, it might make him think twice about stealing stuff again.

robo
KG Regular

He is 4 plots down from me ,he has not been on a lot of late but when he is he is watched by everyone, his brother has a stable and was supplying all our manure for free which has now dried up over another issue, the general consensus is when the rent is due later this year he will not be seen again, one of the lads on the allotment told him to help himself to a few carrots if he wanted any ,he waited a couple of days then dug up every carrot the lad had planted, he is one of life's despicable people, the good news is , our allotments are tightly governed by our local authority and we are inspected every month if you have not worked your plot they issue you a none cultivation order that gives you 3 weeks to comply if you dont you are given the boot our inspector " gary " has got his eye on him
robo
KG Regular

Tried the tiller out this morning only used it for about 15 minutes or so, I have a pile of turf that was dumped by our local council on the field at the side of our allotments, it looked good so with the help of brown spending voucher I got the driver to tip 2 loads on my plot I am desperate for top soil I have been putting the turf at the bottom of my raised beds then covering with top soil, I give the tiller a go on it to see what it could do although the turf is very wet the tiller did well it is light and easy to use I dont think it would be any good on heavy ground but for a final till before planting I think it will work well I tried it on one of the areas that has not been touched for 2 months it did work it o.k. but it was slow but as I have said its not good conditions for tilling
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Robo, that sounds very promising, as the tiller will work three times as well when the soil is drier. Very handy about the turves too, as thee make brilliant soil with all the fiberous roots in them, just the job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic