Daily home grown food consumption

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Had the first sprouts yesterday with parsnips, carrots, potatoes and jerusalem artichokes, roast chicken (not one of mine) followed by apple crumble.
Using sieved tomatoes (in takeaway containers) from the freezer in all sorts of things. Lots of cabbages, kale, leeks, swedes to pick. Peas, beans (frozen and dried) broccoli, cauliflower in freezer. Poached Pears and mixed berries also in freezer. Squashes, pumpkins, potatoes, onions, shallots, garlic and apples in store. Cape gooseberries still producing and ate last fig today. Used last sweet pepper and tomatoes today. Still have a few lettuces in garden.
Also froze quite a few servings of braised red cabbage with apple.

The easiest and quickest way to make chicken stock is to boil the carcass in a pressure cooker for 10 mins.

Froze several litres of grape juice instead of making wine and have a few tubs of elderflower cordial left.

All in all a good gardening year despite the late start. The only thing that was a complete failure was the beetroot. Used free packet that came with magazine and not one germinated from three separate sowings. Should have sown a different variety but didn't get round to it.
Redfox
KG Regular

We had sprouts and savoy from lottie yesterday with potatoes that were cropped earlier.
Made apple sauce, appke pie filling and apples in syrup over the weekend.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Gooseberry Chutney in my cheese roll today, lovely! Frozen french beans tonight, Pink Fir Apple potatoes yesterday.

MW
Piglet6
KG Regular

French and runner beans from the freezer.
Geoff
KG Regular

We had visitors for tonight's evening meal so played the usual game of how many of our veg could we use. Chicken, bacon and leek pie with I think some onion as well. Roasted veg; potatoes, parsnips, squash and shallots. Other veg; swede and French beans (the only one not fresh). We'd already had leek and potato soup followed by apples for lunch. May have just squeezed in my 5-a-day.

Bit more economical than this http://orders.booths.co.uk/products/chi ... ragon-pie/
Redfox
KG Regular

Do people actually pay prices like that for pies? :o
I wouldn't pay that.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think that is even a little out of my price range...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

£33 for a pie - unbelievable! (I couldn't see any gold leaf on it either) :shock:

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

We went visiting and remembered on the way we needed some flowers so called in at a Booths because it was convenient. They had a stack of catalogues with items like that, we have had many a laugh, how the other half live etc. The £30 carrot cake caught our eyes first - sent an invoice to son and partner who had just gone home with one my wife made, still outstanding!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic