The correct way to use Vitax

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

I'm doing my brothers garden for him and it's on very, very heavy compacted clay. We've put loads of manure and some grit on it but still compacted. It can't be rotavated cos the ground is just too compacted. The garden hasn't been done for 10 years and my brother only moved in 2 years ago.

I've been advised to use Vitax on it to break it down but not sure how to use it properly. I need to use it on areas of about 5' x 5', 4' x 6' and 4' x 4'.

Do I put it on and leave the rain to wash it in and can I mix it with more manure and topsoil? Also, at what rate to I use it or can I just shove a 5lb weight bag on each part?

Thanks in advance chaps.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Allan
KG Regular

Vitax is the name of the company that market a range of products. The most common is a balanced feed, originally granular but now pelleted as far as retail trade is concerned. It is very similar to John Innes Base Fertiliser and akin to blood fish and bone. I cannot see its relevance to clay soil and its problems. Clay is noted for its ability to retain nutrients which are released more readily once the platelets are seperated and a crumb structure obtained which can be achieved in a combination of several ways such as bulky manure, sharp gritty sand, winter weathering (temporary) or liming if the pH is low. There are proprietary clay busters. If the Vitax that you mention is indeed one of these then follow the instructions.
All these remedies will take some time to achieve full effect and you may find it most expedient to confine initial efforts to the top few inches or to the actual planting and sowing rows, then in time the improvement will spread into the lower levels. Many plants such as the major salad crops would not benefit from cultivation beyond about the top 4 inches. Have you considered growbags for the initial stages, when exhausted the contents form a valuable resource for soil omprovement and the cost is similar to bags of compost.
Allan
peter
KG Regular

Pickaxe?

Pickaxes and the local firemen, purely as a keepfit exercise for them. PS keep Grock away that day. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Allan

I was given the information that the product can be used to treat soils such as this as it breaks down the clay when it is very compacted. It is impossible to dig a small planting hole on this soil, it is that bad. It has had half a tonne of straw manure on each of the beds for the last 6 months but to no effect. However, your idea to use growbags is great, I wouldn't of thought of that. We were going to import several tonnes of top soil but would that solve the clay problem?

As for your suggestion Peter, consider yourself chastised most firmly. Naughty Peter!!! Maybe i'll get Grocks scout group over for a bob a job exercise :twisted: The firement know about Grock and protect themselves from her with electric cattle prods and Rottweilers :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Allan
KG Regular

If you go to any Garden Centre and ask for Vitax they wii think you want the balanced feed which is all that I have ever seen in any retail outlet. That will NOT break up the soil. You must have the CLAY BREAKER which says so on the packet (primarily orange printing). A websearch of Vitax will lead you to the technical details which you can print out if you wish (pdf or Word)but they state to refer to the product label for method of use so it seems you will have to buy a packet unless you can find one on display first and checkup that way. It is in pelleted form, I am left woundering if you will still have to break up the clay somewhat before the clay breaker will work. Maybe it's pickaxe work after all.
Allan
vivie veg
KG Regular

I used the clay breaker once...but many moons ago.

If I remember right you had to mix it into the soil...personaly I did not think it did much good and lots of organic matter made a better job.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Allan
KG Regular

That's what I suspected, no quick fix so you might as well follow the path of organic matter and grit anyway. Liming would be in order subject to pH less than 7, it aids flocculation.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

If there's any pick axe weilding to be done my brother can get his finger out and do it!!! :lol:

The clay is very bad, so I might just stick with manure, lime and top soil and raise the level of the beds up. We can then plant through that and, hopefully, mother nature will do her stuff over the years. Like I said, the previous owners hadn't worked the soil for years.

Thanks for all the advice peeps, much appreciated.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic